No announcement yet.

Fermentation and double (triple?) batching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a busy week for this one-man show, and I've been away from the board too long. Thanks fo rall the replies everyone. This topic has proven to be a lot deeper than I expected.

To answer an earlier question re: my operational limit - it's the hot water. My electrically heated HLT is about 20% operational (it keeps blowing half it's bank of 9 fuses - at 10 bucks a pop, it's become enough of an irritation to just not use it), so I heat my water in the kettle to a boil. Then move it to the HLT where I've got some unheated city water waiting. If I've done it right, the mix is at my strike temp. After mash-in, I move the rest from the kettle to the HLT and that's usually about right for sparging temp (though I can make some on-the-fly adjustment if it's too hot).

So, I'm assuming that a typical setup (or MY setup if it were fully operational) would refill the HLT after runoff to prep for the next brew. For me, I'd have to wait until the kettle was empty - AND CLEAN to start another.

Right now, my extra time is much cheaper than getting things up to snuff, so I limp along with a 2 day double batch brew.

Comment

Are original set up was a 15hl brewhouse with 30hl Fermenters. To add capacity, we added 60hl Fermenters. 4 brews in 2 days. We oxigenated only the first brew with the yeast. No problems with the lager except 2 tired brewers.

We had to work out some logistics to make it work smoothly, i.e. hot liquor, milling, mashing. We could mash in the second brew will transfering the first.

You may want to consider spending time/money fixing your Hot liquor problem (and any others) along with purchasing tanks. Any problems you have now will be bigger ones later with the added capacity.

Comment

One thing to consider is high gravity brewing. If you have some additional capacity in your brewhouse, in particular the whirlpool you may be able to brew 2 batches of H.G. and get close to 45 bbls. of wort for fermentation. This may not be feasible for you but high gravity brewing could definitely help you sqeeze some extra volume out of you brewhouse where multi-brew days are not an option. Good luck!!
        Mike Jordan
        Brewmaster
        Boxing Cat Brewery
        Shanghai, P.R. China
        michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

They are quite badly fouled with mineral deposits, thankyouverymuch. Unfortunately, they came (used) that way - and now that you mention it, it would most certainly cause the fuses to blow. Myster #73 solved! THANKS!

So, I've been in there before trying to scrub out the buildup by hand - mostly trying on the tank walls, but short of chipping it all away with a hammer and a putty knife, it's going no where. Is there a recommended chemical soaking type of solution to this? It's REALLY thick.

Scott

Comment

Phos - nitric blend acid will rip off the scale be careful of what the element is made of might react to the acid. even straight phos acid in a spray bottle will make quick work of the scale. Consider adjusting your HLT water to 5.4 ph with phos. acid will help reduce the build up (I think) and will be beneficial to your beer.

Comment

Thanks Trub Man. I have been acidifying my mash/sparge water in that tank, and even in the diluted concentrations, I think the phos acid has been nibbling away at the deposits with each brew cycle.

Sounds like it's time to glove-up and use the straight stuff though.

Scott

Comment

Is there a way you could recirc (CIP) the HLT with acid? Could you rig a spray head inside the tank somehow?

Most acids will do the trick, depending on the type of deposit. I've used citric, nitric, phosphoric, and a blend of citric/phos. If you recirculate, the acid will slowly be neutralized and you will have to add more during the process for best results.

If the scale is relatively thin, here is an old trick. Drain the hot liquor tank, and do not refill. Let the tank cool down, the scale will pop off the walls as they contract. Then shovel out the bottom. It is usually a giant mess. Be careful that any leftover pieces don't foul the outlet piping or anything downstream of the HLT.

I would try acid though first.

Good luck,
                b

Comment

I could put a spray ball into this tank, but I think I would need to use a LOT of phos acid to get enough to do the recirc... at least 10 gallons or so. Still, it might be easier (and safer) than climbing in and doing it manually.

I actually drain the HLT with every brew, so the "crack off and flake technique" is already in operation. I think it's just so thick that it doesn't make a dent.

Nice ideas... thanks!
                  Scott

Comment

Can the elements be removed, then attacked while loose from the tank?

Comment

Interesting thread thanks. I have a similar issue but on a smaller scale haha. I am going from homebrewer to brewery owner, huge step. I am still going to brew on my 100 litre batch system but now i need to fill 600 litre tanks.

That is 6 brews. Luckily because of the nature of my brew system (brewmagic) i can turn around brews pretty quick. I can do first brew in 5 hours and then 2 hours more for each consecutive brews plus a couple of hours thrown on for cleaning etc.

I plan to do 4 brews day one (12-13 hours), pitch the yeast at the end of day one. Then 2 brews to top up day two (no aeration on day2).

Does this sound like it could work? Afetr reading above sounds like it will.

Comment

Working...
                      X