bookeeping software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bookeeping software

Does anyone have any advice on bookeeping software for a new microbrewery?
    Why you like what you use?
    What software you don't like and why?
    Thanks
    Miss B

Quickbooks.........hands down.
    We use it ectensively for our operation which has both a Brewery and an Alehouse, a staff of 15, and all sorts of eclectic purchases. We could never track costs by hand like this software, and our CPA interfaces with our data as well.
    Take a look at their website to read more. We use it to write checks for nearly all our purchases as well as making payroll. We've been using it for years. Cool tool!

Comment

Quickbooks! Don't bother with any other program!
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Which Quickbooks?

Quickbooks, Pro, Maufacturing?
        Thanks,
        Miss B

Comment

Hello folks!

I started with Quickbooks, and wasn't too impressed. I mean, I think even their "home" use program Quicken works better. Kind of a let down. So on the advice of an accountant type I switched to a program called Peachtree. I like it even less. I'm switching back to Quickbooks!

Is the manufacturing version worth the extra money?

Aloha,
          Ron
          PS. I also have a new accountant.
          Last edited by Greenbrewmonkey; 05-31-2005, 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

bookkeeping software

We started with an industrial strength bookkeeping software made by Sage called BusinessWorks. It is very good software and comes highly recommended by my accountant and his bookkeeper. However, as a relatively small business, it may be overkill: it is not exactly user friendly to the layperson and is quite costly. But, if it is your intention to grow into a multi-location operation or into a regional micro, it may be worth the investment into one of the professional software packages.

Otherwise, from what I've heard Quickbooks and Peachtree are pretty good. Sometimes, I wish I had started out with those. Eventually though I would have wanted to switch over to something more powerful and it mat not have been worth it to start with these smaller packages.

Get some advice from independent accountants to best determine your needs and software suitability.

- J

Comment

Quickbooks is OK, but you can't use the inventory functions for any type of manufactured products. You will end up expensing all the raw materials you buy. But for basic financial functions it works great.
              Linus Hall
              Yazoo Brewing
              Nashville, TN
              www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Software

I have use quicken and Peachtree software. Quicken is easier to set up and use but has limited use beyond bank account and accounting entries. The Peachtree is harder to setup and use but controls inventory and batch specific costs, but it does take time and effort to set it up. You can hire someone to set it up for you on contract. Once setup it is fairly easy to use and gives much greater control over the business.
                Doug A Moller
                Brewmaster
                The Moller Brew House
                (405)226-3111

Comment

Mas - 90

Hello, don't know anything about the manufacturing version of QB, though can vouch for QB as a general purpose tool for a small business (we use it for our restaurant, waterstone).

At Goose Island, I worked with MAS-90, an integrated inventory and accounting program. I found it to be a great program, providing a link between manufacturing, warehousing, shipping, and accounts payable/receivable. I don't know if it is cost prohibitive for the small startup micro, but I toss it in the mix of thoughts.

Paul

Comment

QuickBooks backup

Many members are suggesting QuickBooks as it is simple to use once you get the hang of it and for the features the software is packed with. My suggestion will also be the same, but make sure you have a backup of this critical data. The number of virus eruptions these days is disastrous for your data, also have an online backup for quicken and quickbooks as a disaster management option.

Comment

Before you settle on any specific software package invest $150 bucks in an accounting course at your local community college. All those software products are trying to do is make accounting principles "easy" to understand. If you just take the time to learn accounting, then a notepad and pencil will be just as fast and probably more meaningfull. You'll be speaking the same language as your accountant is, too.

d.s.

Comment

Been using Quickbooks for years but never in a manufacturing environment. I'm starting to look at it now to see how it might be able to track inventory of raw goods and finished product. I would also love something that would be able to bar-code kegs as they're going out the door.

If it's really a point of interest for everyone I'd be happy to post a review after I'm done.

Don't even thing about manual bookkeeping - you'd have no time left to brew.

David
                        David Cohen
                        The Dancing Camel Brewing Co. Ltd.

Comment

Working...
                        X