Looking for input on city water restrictions for new meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for input on city water restrictions for new meters

I'm considering opening a distillery in several locations right now, one has the most opportune building, arrangement, sprinklers, air compressor, air lines, 2000A 460V 3 phase power, but no floor drains, and one water meter of 1" coming into the building. This building is pretty old, from the 50's but the condition of the place is actually really nice. So, onto the city planner, talked over our plan, they love it, they wanted to do anything within reason to help, fire marshall, same, he was pleased with our arrangements, however, the water line can't be added without a 3-4 month hearing process. What have you guys seen happen in a drought stricken area. We have had 3 bad years and all the hippies around here are probably waiting to have me for lunch for trying to use more water. I think in general it will be well received but am I just frustrated over a public hearing for nothing? The city people are also on the board who will hear me, I'm more worried about delays due to the public and the time/costs/delays it may put on me. I have another option for the meanwhile which is to pay to have the building behind me which has 2" line brought to my building and vice versa. Its an added cost but probably a decent work around however I worry that in the future this will still be a problem. We are starting with 1, 40 bbl run per week, making 3 barrels of whiskey per week. If it fairs well then we will triple or quadruple this amount within 2 years only being delayed by a second still being built. Any opinions? Thanks so much for your input, this has really been stressing me out because I want the building but I want to have a building that will work for me and not against me in the long term and am willing to wait a little longer to find something that will work without having to file a million use permits to find things that won't work. This is round #2. The last wonderful winery building was not sprinkled, 200k later at my expense it would have been nice but the tenant improvement costs are pretty ridiculous. I'm trying to do the right thing this time with diligence in the details. Cheers!

Originally posted by mendodistilling View Post
    I'm considering opening a distillery in several locations right now, one has the most opportune building, arrangement, sprinklers, air compressor, air lines, 2000A 460V 3 phase power, but no floor drains, and one water meter of 1" coming into the building.
    What kind of water pressure do you have? A 1" line hardly seems enough for a sprinkler system. Do you have a reservoir tank?

Distilling is a very water intensive business. Disposing of the waste (effluent) is another issue you may wish to discuss with the local municipality prior to proceeding. You will not want to overwhelm their treatment facilities.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
    X