Beer analysis protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer analysis protocol

I look for beer analysis protocol. I was interested by ASBC one but since it's online at near 1000$ it's too expansive for a small brewery. Do you have an other good ressource available?

A few options

This company has a lot of options depending on what you are looking for: http://www.bio-chem.com/services/beer

Also, there is a basic test from White Labs: http://www.whitelabs.com/other-produ...-test-kit-plus

Both have decent prices.

Comment

I look to do it in house but with the good procedure. But it seams that the only place that I can find those protocole is ASBC for 1000$ a year online.

Comment

Broadly, beer analysis can be broken down into three sections:

Supplier certificated - malt, yeast, hops, water (possibly), etc. should all have been analysed by the supplier before sale, so generally shouldn't need analysing. I've included water in this list as there will be data available from your water company.

Due diligence - nitrosamines, aflotoxins, heavy metals, etc. shouldn't need doing on every batch. Providing you have confidence in your suppliers, plant and process then annual or bi-annual analysis should suffice. Would be worth speaking to your local food safety agency for advice.

Process control - pH, temperature, dissolved oxygen, CO2, yeast count, abv, gravity, etc. are all process control analyses that ensure your beer is what you (and your customers) expect. You could add things like bitterness, colour, turbidity (measured, as opposed to visual assessment), aren't vital if you have a robust process (eg. weighing malt, hops, etc.) but can add a further level of proof that your beers are consistent.

I'm sure I will have missed some analyses and others might feel they would give different emphasis to the ones listed, but that's my starter for ten!

A good, basic brewing lab set-up need not cost a fortune with a little care in the planning stage

Comment

Resources for Brewing Analytics

Contact us at Brewing and Distilling Analytical Services - we can give you numerous level references to brewing analytical protocols. See if the ASBC Manual for Craft Brewers is still available for one. Much less expensive than the full MOA. Gary.

Comment

German Method Books

Another option are the MEBAK books, which are the methods for the German speaking countries in Europe. While still not cheap at 130 euros a piece, the english versions are still less expensive than the ASBC MOA, and you can choose which sections you need. Most brewing analysis is in the "Wort, Beer, and Beer Based Beverages" Volume, but there is also one on Sensory, Water, and raw materials.
            They are available from the publisher of BrauWelt, Hans Carl Verlag.

Comment

Working...
            X