Heather Flowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heather Flowers

Just received a response from TTB Formulas on our Scotch Ale which uses heather nibs.

"What is the GRAS status of Heather Nibs? What type of flower does it come from?"

As far as I can tell, Heather is not listed on any GRAS list. The supplier doesn't have any information. Has anyone else been asked this?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Iron Goat View Post
    Just received a response from TTB Formulas on our Scotch Ale which uses heather nibs.

"What is the GRAS status of Heather Nibs? What type of flower does it come from?"

As far as I can tell, Heather is not listed on any GRAS list. The supplier doesn't have any information. Has anyone else been asked this?

Thanks!
    Generic name is Calluna spp (formerly known as Erica spp. - family Ericaceae)

Never been asked.

I know there can be some weird toxic molds growing on it and prep of the heather tips before packaging is critical.

I would be surprised if it appeared on the GRAS list. That being said, it has been used safely in brewing as a flavoring for hundreds of years.

Good luck.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Heather Ale in the UK

David Meadows
      Brew House Technologist
      TECHNOBREW
      (619)840-3311
      david@technobrew.com

Comment

Wanted to post a follow up to this in case anyone else runs into this issue.

I asked the heather supplier for additional information but there wasn't any really - other than they were carefully dried heather flowers. I updated the ingredient to read as Heather Tips instead of Heather Nibs. I added a comment stating the scientific name of the flower and that heather has been used for hundreds of years in beverages including the Scottish Fraoch.

A couple of days later I received approval.

Comment

I've thought about brewing one of these- what is your supplier?
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

Country Malt Group
            http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/

Comment

How did you add the Heather Flowers? As a late hop in the kettle? If so, any thoughts on lbs/bbl for the additions?

I'm brewing a Scottish 60 shilling ale and want to use Heather in place of late hops but I'm kind of winging it on the amount of the additions.
              Hutch Kugeman
              Head Brewer
              Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
              Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Heather additions

We use about 1.2lbs/bbl at whirlpool then dry 'hop' at the same rate. We bag it since it gets quite messy if just thrown in.

Comment

Working...
                X