Brew calender and tank manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brew calender and tank manager

Anyone know of a program for managing tanks and brew schedule in a calender format?

Basically it'd be great to drag and drop a recipe on a timeline and have it auto fill in dates for events like dry hopping, yeast dumps, crashing, transfer and packaging based on specs you'd enter. Having this linked to your tanks in a way that you know when tanks are scheduled to be open, or if there may be extra time in the schedule for passivation of a tank etc.

It seems like a relatively easy program to write, though I am not a programmer or developer. I can see it getting more in depth by helping to maximize tank usage based on parameters you could set etc... but to start it'd just be great to have a visualization of what beer is moving from one tank to another and have a graphical calendar that didn't have to have every action filled in by hand.

currently using google calender, which is nice because all of our employees can access the schedule, but any time you change one thing you have to shift everything around by hand afterwards.

Thoughts?
    Beejay
    Pipeworks Brewing Company

BeerRun does this (and a lot of other things), unfortunately I haven't been able to find room in the budget to license it.

Comment

how much does that sucker cost?
      Beejay

Comment

Poor planning is really expensive. I'm amazed at the number of people who spend $100k on a brewery but can't spend a few grand on software to manage it.

I don't own it, but I don't think Beer Run can handle standard costing. It looks like it uses actual costing, and just updates costs as vendor invoices change.

For that reason alone, you're better off spending more on a better system like Orchestrated Beer.

Comment

I'm not really interested in the distribution end of software like this, but rather just trying to streamline brew processing. We self distribute and don't have a problem on that end at all, or on the brewing side for that matter. Again just interested in making planning the month/quarter/year a little easier and less taxing
          Beejay

Comment

I don't think anyone said anything about distribution. . . ?

Anyway, what costing system are you using to determine your production schedule?

Comment

Not using a costing system to determine our brew schedule. We brew the beers we want when we want to. We are a small brewery which allows us this luxury. At our scale I don't need software to tell me what to brew when, but a calendar that had my tanks on it and could be programmed with fermentation info ahead of time would be nice. It can be done by hand relatively easily and we do it this way, but juggling 15 tanks can get a little hairy.
              Beejay

Comment

Will PM the BeerRun costs.

Comment

Originally posted by beejay View Post
                  Not using a costing system to determine our brew schedule. We brew the beers we want when we want to. We are a small brewery which allows us this luxury. At our scale I don't need software to tell me what to brew when, but a calendar that had my tanks on it and could be programmed with fermentation info ahead of time would be nice. It can be done by hand relatively easily and we do it this way, but juggling 15 tanks can get a little hairy.
                  That's pretty cool you don't have to worry about making a profit. It must be nice to have unlimited resources and no competition.

Comment

Excel

If you're halfway savvy with Excel you can create a schedule that is easy to manipulate and tailored to your required level of complexity.

The facility I'm currently supporting (a food processing/packaging plant) still uses a complex workbook that interfaces with a resource planning system. You obviously don't need something this drastic.
                    Kyle Kohlmorgen
                    Process/Automation Consultant
                    St. Louis, MO

Comment

Originally posted by nateo View Post
                      That's pretty cool you don't have to worry about making a profit. It must be nice to have unlimited resources and no competition.
                      Wow. That's pretty aggressive, especially considering the question he originally asked. Bad day?

beejay: Was looking for exactly this about a year ago, then got busy. I think maybe gcaltoolkit may do what you're aiming to do, though I've not personally tried it yet. There's also "gcalendarcleaner" (aka "Bulk Action Tool") installable into Google Chrome browser, but it looks maybe clunkier and hasn't been updated in some time and it's unclear to me it works in the way you're hoping. Surprising to me that Google hasn't built this into their calendars. Pretty certain they will eventually. There's already a change request to do so in the Google forums. May cost a little money in the meantime to use one of these. Good luck.

If gcaltoolkit doesn't get you there, maybe a feature request to its developer would get it done quick? Something like a multi-select shift +/- "X" number of days for all selected events feature? Could be quicker and cheaper than waiting for Google to move on it, or buying a large software package you might not use in its entirety.
                      Last edited by NinkasiSwain; 09-25-2013, 04:10 AM.

Comment

I was reminded of my previous life as a software developer a few days ago and was reminded of this thread. Certain project management software might work for this too and cost a heck of a lot less. Things like Microsoft Project or OmniPlan or Ganttic.
                        Last edited by AnthonyB; 09-25-2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nateo View Post
                          Yep, that is our story to the T.

Keep it classy brother
                          Beejay

Comment

Originally posted by beejay View Post
                            Yep, that is our story to the T.

Keep it classy brother
                            I thought I'd resurrect this thread... Did you find the software you were seeking?

Anthony:
                            Had the opportunity to meet Joshi and your crew last night at your taproom. Awesome job guys. Thanks to Joshi for answering our questions!

Sean

Comment

Working...
                            X