Exotic Woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exotic Woods?

Does anybody have any experience using exotic or unusual woods in beer? Aging with something other than the typical oak, cherry, birch, etc.? I have some access (and a definite interest) to various exotic woods I could use but I have no experience outside the norm. Are there any concerns with processing or using standard, untreated woods in beer?

I appreciate any shared experience out there!

Thanks,
    Paul Ford
    Brewer
    5 Stones Craft Brewing Company

Define exotic. Are we talking Poisonwood trees (they're in Florida and yes, it's just like they sound) or just like, Alder?

If you mean foreign incense woods then yes you can use them. For example, Palo Santo has some really cool flavors. It's also super, crazy potent. So check the beer daily, preferably twice daily. I've found in a test batch that one 3" stick is plenty on a two and a half day contact with 5 gallons.

Some woods have a lot of weird resins and terpenes in them and probably should be avoided. This is why people don't smoke BBQ with conifers, like Fir and Pine. That's also where turpentine traditionally comes from.

Cedar is a weird one because here in the PNW, we grill on planks of it, but nobody really uses it as straight smoker fuel. Note that I've had a beer which was aged on raw Western Red Cedar. It was...interesting. Note that there are several species that call themselves 'cedar'. Japanese Cedar is not related, but is used in barrel-aged sake. Spanish cedar is not related, but I've had people's homebrews and a beer from Stone that used it.

Bottom line: I think if you can smoke with it, you can brew with it. Try a small batch, and check it regularly.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Contact John Gasparine for guidance on types of wood that are NOT safe to use, as well as contact time/dosing techniques for woods that are safe.

John was/is a lumber industry consultant. He worked with Dogfish on their Palo Santo project, as well as Heavy Seas and Stillwater.

He gave a great talk on alternative wood aging at this year's NHC. If you're an AHA member, you can view the presentation and a list of unsafe wood species.
      Kyle Kohlmorgen
      Process/Automation Consultant
      St. Louis, MO

Comment

"Mexican Sugar Pine", if that's what it's really called, has a phenomenal aroma of intense brown sugar when cut/sanded.
        Ceylon Satinwood has a gorgeous aroma when cut/sanded.

I'm not sure about safety/functionality in a beer, but if they are ok to use, I'd imagine that they impart some uniqueness.

Fresh spring coyote willow shoots would also impart some real nice flavors and aromas, but it will have some dry "aspirin" taste as well as salicin. Again, not sure about safety/functionality in a beer.

"Hop Tree", Rutacea ptelia trifoliata, works well in a beer. I've used the winged fruits/seeds like hops, it comes out nice. Folks used to use the bark and roots, but the fruits are a sustainable usage and don't ruin the tree. I'm not sure if the male trees will have the same flavor, or any.

Lemon basil stems? Holy basil stems? One of the holy basil's, a Krishna Tulsi, has an intense flavor of spicy Juicyfruit gum.

"If you don't try, you may never know".

Comment

Working...
        X