Stupid Imperial Stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Imperial Stout

I'll keep it short...my DIPA recipe is 320 odd pounds for 3.5 bbl, runs in about 3 hours. My RIS is 375 pounds for 3.5bbl, sticks at 2.5 bbl and takes about 5 hours for 2.5 bbl.

pH is 5.14 v 5.23, RO water mash of 148F v 152F. No adjuncts.

What the hell is wrong with this stupid ass stout?

Bill

My first thought would be the increased friability of roasted malts is creating a tighter grain bed. You could try a mill adjustment and see if that makes any difference...

Comment

Split the mash in two and collect half your wort each time. The grain bill may just be too much for your mash tun to handle. From your run off times it won't add any time to the brew day! Throw some rice hulls in as well.

Comment

Yeah, you're probably getting a lot of fines from the roasted malts. Try opening your mill gap slightly when milling the roasted grains,
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

I would agree with the increased fines theory. If adjusting your mill gap is not a particularly easy thing to do here's a suggestion of something to try first that may help. Assuming you are dumping bags and not using a silo or supersack try mixing the roasted grains in slowly with the base malt as it goes into the mill. I find that this seems to help the roasted grains not get pulverized so bad (it also works with milling wheat too)...

Of course everybody's equipment is different so what works for me may be of no use to you, but it's a pretty easy thing to try before you go messing around with your mill gap...
          Scott LaFollette
          Fifty West Brewing Company
          Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Another trick that might help with the finer miller heavily roasted grains is add them to the mash late, just before vorlauf. You will still get all the color and flavor but you can get them to more or less float in the top half of the mash bed giving you a bigger filter base for the finer material.
            Beejay
            Pipeworks Brewing Company

Comment

If you are filtering the beer and it has big problems filtering then it could be beta glucans in your specialty malt if you are using a high percentage of specialty malt.

Comment

All right, here's what I found during grain out...

The 1.5" above the screens were dense. Super dense. When I milled in, I, of course, put in the roasted malt first. The theory behind that being I could contain color contamination between batches by putting the most 2-row possible between the roast and the next batch of beer.

I think that I will mill in 50% of base malt on the next one, then roast malts, then 50% of base. Hopefully that takes the edge off of this thing. The hopper on our mill is pretty much last in, first out, so getting the mix right may be a trick, but that's what experimentation is for.

Thanks for the help all,
                Bill

Comment

I would give Rice Hulls a shot with those long run-offs.

James
                  Hop It And Bitterness Will Come

James Costa
                  Brewmaster
                  Half Moon Bay Brewing Co.
                  El Granada,Ca

Comment

rice hulls

I fully agree with hallertau2000. I use rice hulls in every brew to help with a good run-off. 8.25bbl in 48 minutes..every time.
                    Cheers
                    Jay Stoyanoff
                    Brewmaster
                    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
                    Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Jay,

Do you see a time vs yield trade-off at that run time?

Bill

Comment

nope

I'm running around 79% efficiency, so I'm not feeling a trade off there. I run-off, via gravity only, for the first 5.5bbls and then use the pump for the last 3bbls. Single step mash infusion with no mash off. I try to maintain 6 minute bbls for the first 5 bbls and then ramp up to 4.5 minute bbls for the rest (the bed has heated up at that point thanks to the 170F sparge water, so the runoff is less viscous). I use a 4 inch thomsen pump with (2) ten foot, 1.5" ID, lengths of brewers hose.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Cheers
                        Jay Stoyanoff
                        Brewmaster
                        Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
                        Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

amount of rice hulls

FYI I use 5 pounds of hulls for my most sticky brews (aka wheats and oatmeal stout) and bring it down to 3 pounds for all barley brews. All 8.25 bbl brews before boil.
                          Cheers
                          Jay Stoyanoff
                          Brewmaster
                          Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
                          Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Working...
                          X