Contract Brewing and Growler fills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Brewing and Growler fills

I own a small retail store in CA with a small tap room. I was wondering if I went ahead and did a contract brew would I be able to fill up growlers?

I know growler fill laws are changing or have changed recently. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

California?

Assuming you have a brewery with a taproom, you can fill growlers as long as you are the manufacturer. The state of California doesn't care what it's called.

Comment

I guess I wasn't too clear.

I own a grocery store with a tavern license which allows me to serve beer on draft. My question was if I were to get a local company to do a contract brew to make my own house beer - would I be able to fill growlers of it as well?

Comment

The answer is no. Retailers are not allowed to fill growlers. You can buy growlers filled at a brewery and sell them (same as bottles) but retailers cannot fill growlers regardless of source (contract brewed).

Comment

I have been to some retail stores in Bend, Oregon that fill growlers. There are actually dedicated "growler fill stations" there. I am sure the regulations vary from state to state.
          Troy Robinson
          Quirk Brewing
          Walla Walla

Comment

Originally posted by troybinso View Post
            I have been to some retail stores in Bend, Oregon that fill growlers. There are actually dedicated "growler fill stations" there. I am sure the regulations vary from state to state.
            This varies from state to state. This was a big topic of discussion at the last conference I attended of alcohol regulatory lawyers. California does not allow it but other states do. Michigan just passed a law which would allow bars with a class c ("liquor license") to fill growlers.
            Joe Infante
            Regulatory Attorney
            Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone
            Grand Rapids, MI
            616-776-6333
            infante@millercanfield.com

Comment

Working...
            X