Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IBD Diploma in Brewing Course - has anybody attended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBD Diploma in Brewing Course - has anybody attended?

Hello

Does anyone have experience with the Residential Course or online course?

Cheers Gary

If you have a trawl through this site you will find a number of threads about residential courses, not just the ones specifically for the IBD Diploma, though I strongly support the IBD exams (well I would, wouldn't I, since I help out the IBD with one of the other non diploma exams).

However, I don't think I have seen a single comment that has said "don't do it", whether Siebel, Davis California, VLB, Weihenstefan, Scandanavian brewing school, Heriot Watt, Nottingham or Sunderland (and more I am sure). Yes, residential courses are expensive, but the beauty of them is that they give you the opportunity to question not only tutors, but normally brewers in a number of different breweries which you visit or work in (according to the course), and not least of all, other people on the course, both wannabe brewers, or experienced brewers. So discussions can be as wide ranging or limited as you want them to be. And of course, you are not trying to fit in theoretical work or visits whilst you are working twelve hour days brewing, filtering, bottling etc.

So I suggest you have a search through this site, and see what you think is best for you, both financially and time wise.

I think if you look on the Brauwelt international website, they have a long list of education providers all over the world - which may influence where you go.

One thing to note though, there have been comments about the content of say Sunderland being very British micro brewer oriented (and let's be honest, most of the students are from the UK), to VLB and Weihenstefan which give a very Germanic view of the brewing process. So it will be worth considering what style of brewing you are looking to gain knowledge in, and what style of brewing (technology in particular) the provider is offering.

The IBD tries not to be production technique specific, but I have no doubt that some consider it biased in one way or another, but overall there were something like (from memory) 4,000 examination candidates worldwide (including Africa, China, Europe, Asia and the Americas) this last year (over the whole range of exams), and the Diploma in particular tends to be theory biased, rather than in depth practically / experientially biased.

Anyway, whatever you end up doing, work hard at it, and all the best with whichever way you decide to go.

Cheers
    dick

Comment

Hi Dick

Thanks for the detailed reply. It's very helpful.
      I have looked a lot at the various courses and although people talk about Siebel, ABG and Brewlab on here, very little mention is made of IBD.
      I already passed the GCB and GCP and your thoughts confirm my impression of IBD. Still thinking of going.

Thanks for the help
      Gary

Comment

So when and where are you thinking of doing the course? And although run under the auspices of the IBD, because the IBD don't run many course themselves directly, again, for my interest, who is running it? Thanks
        dick

Comment

Hi Dick

The course is in Burton, England.
          Progress in your career in the drinks industry with the gold-standard of technical drinks qualifications in brewing, distilling, malting, packaging and cider-making.

Probably too late to get in the 2014 course. If not in 2014 in 2015.
          Thinking of DB1 and DB2.

Cheers Gary

Comment

Thanks

Give me a call nearer the time. I'm only an hour or so away - I might even try and get on as a tutor as it is a long time since I did any of them.

Allow a bit of time to visit a few breweries and generally have a look around (unless you are originally from the UK of course!!)

Cheers

Dick
            dick

Comment

Working...
            X