Hose and tir clamp size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose and tir clamp size question

I've done a search and while I've found some answers it's not quite what I needed to know.

7bbl system that came with 3 lengths of Unaflex type 725 brewers and vinters hose in the following configurations:

2 x 8' lengths of 1" hose with 1" triclamp fittings on the ends
    1 x 3' length of 1.5" hose with 1.5" fittings on the ends

My question is with mixing different diameter triclamp ends. I've read here that going down from 1.5" to 1" is fine, but going the other way creates cleaning/sanitizing issues as the smaller inlet into the larger hose won't ever fully fill the larger diameter - am I right so far?

So, in an attempt to use what I've already paid for and not by anymore pricey brewers hose, I was wondering if I could go from the 1.5" outlet on the fermenter to the 1.5" hose to the cart pump (which is both 1.5" in and 1.5" out) to the 1" hose with the 1" tri clamp fittings into the 1.5" valve on a brite tank? That's one example of a transfer I'd need to make regularly.

If the triclamps on the 1" hose were 1.5" ferrules I wouldn't even post this question, but the smaller diameter triclamp ends have caused me to (over) rethink this. And then to add even more to the mix, if I wanted to stay with 1" hose should I purchase 1" tri clamp sight glasses etc?

Thanks for any help as always.

I'm confused. You're wanting to transfer beer from FV to Brite and you're using a pump? Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbushguy View Post
      I'm confused. You're wanting to transfer beer from FV to Brite and you're using a pump? Is that correct?
      Yeah that was the thought. We have a 3/4hp vfd sanitary cart pump.

Comment

Why not just push it over with CO2? This is the method we use. A nice gentle 3-4 psi push transfers our beer in a reasonable amount of time and lets us get nice and close to the settled yeast bed in the FV without hoovering up chunks that end up in the brite. And then we also use the pressure in the FV to push out the yeast bed when we begin to clean it as well. There is also little oxygen pickup as well because our sanitizer get purged from the brite with CO2 as well so there's a blanket when you begin transferring. This method works the best for us.

Comment

We've considered that too and that may be how we end up handling that transfer. Seems gentler on the beer for sure. I guess what I really want to know is how interchangeable 1" hose fitted with 1" triclamp ends are with other 1" hose lengths fitted with 1" ends, AND with sight glasses, oxygenation stone setups etc. I don't want to create turbulence or aeration of finished beer and I also want to make sure cleaning and sanitizing is hitting all surfaces.

But either way, thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

You should be fine with using the 1.5" to the inlet of the pump and 1" out. You should stay away form using the 1" to the inlet of the pump because it would put a bit of a strain on the motor. Pushing with gas works fine but if you are trying to save money use your pump and connect the head spaces of the two tanks together.

Comment

Originally posted by schmogger View Post
              You should be fine with using the 1.5" to the inlet of the pump and 1" out. You should stay away form using the 1" to the inlet of the pump because it would put a bit of a strain on the motor. Pushing with gas works fine but if you are trying to save money use your pump and connect the head spaces of the two tanks together.
              Thanks! So to be clear, mixing the order of 1" hose with 1" fittings with say a sight glass with 1.5" tri clamps is generally ok? Am I overthinking this like everything else?
              Last edited by woohokie; 01-19-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

So does the 1" hose have 1.5" TC fittings or 1"? If you send me a PM with your phone # I can explain things easier and more complete on the phone.

Comment

^^^ PM sent and thanks for the offer.

Comment

A 1" and 1 1/2" tri- clamp ferrules have the same outside dia. and use the same clamp & gasket, just the inside dia. is differen't. The 1" hose would have too use a 1" inch ferrule. I believe!!

Comment

Working...
                    X