Legalities with indoor open flame burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legalities with indoor open flame burners

Hey guys, just putting together a pilot system currently and I had a question about using open flame burners indoors. Our pilot system currently uses propane, but we're looking to convert it to natural gas since you can't use propane indoors and can't store propane indoors. There is natural gas all throughout our city and that's what we're looking to use.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as legalities goes for using natural gas indoors? I've been told you need to have the burner encased in brick, but that doesn't sound right to me. What are the typical requirements for this? Some sort of ventilation system I'm assuming? I'm assuming it's all dependent on our local laws, but if anyone could give me some insight on what it's like in their area that would be a great start. Would this fall under the jurisdiction of our local fire marshall?

Did you ever receive a reply to this privately? I'm dealing with the same issue right now. I've got Blichmann burners, but they are only rated for outdoor use. I can't seem to find where to buy propane or natural gas burners that are indoor rated (aside from buying a SABCO BrewMagic which I can't do since I've already purchased all the other parts for our pilot brew system). Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Wages Brewing Company
    West Plains, Missouri
    The Middle of Nowhere Never Tasted So Good!

Comment

You should probably talk to your local building inspector. They are the ones that have the say on stuff like open flames, and will be the ones that will give you advice on how to make it work.

Check out the city/county building and planning department and there will be someone there with the answers you need - you're going to have to talk to them sooner or later.
      Troy Robinson
      Quirk Brewing
      Walla Walla

Comment

I went to our building inspector before we purchased our burners with the specs on the setup just so we wouldn't have an issue down the road. His main concern was the correct double wall venting through our roof and the burners\controls being UL approved. As others have said check with them first because you'll have to deal with them anyway and it's better to have them like you from the beginning.

Comment

Thanks guys for the fast replies! In the past I had gone to local authorities for similar questions, but I asked the wrong questions resulting a negative result, so now I try to get some idea of what the answer should be before I approach the authorities.

But it makes sense that my fire marshal would be able to either approval our set up or offer suggestions, so I'll check on that now. Worst case, I'll be buying electric elements which is what I am currently being directed to anyway.

And I'll try to remember to post back here when I get the answer so it might be useful to someone else down the road.
          Wages Brewing Company
          West Plains, Missouri

Comment

A mechanical engineer is also useful, they would be the ones who do your mechanical air, gas and water drawings. They will know the codes.

Comment

Your state Boiler Inspector would be an excellent source for ventilation, etc, even 'though this isn't a pressure system. In addition to exhaust venting, you'll probably need a make-up air vent of some sort. If it isn't required by law, it's still a very good thing to have so you don't suck your conditioned air out of the building.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Does this cover what you are suggesting: Our brewery is going into a ex-commercial kitchen. It has a pretty giant hood (I could put at least three 30 gallon pilot brew systems under it!) with an air return. Not sure if I'm saying that right, but I've been told it's designed to not affect the conditioned air.

So in theory, I can show the fire marshal and he may (or may not) approve us to use the burners under said hood. I will check with him ASAP.
                Wages Brewing Company
                West Plains, Missouri

Comment

You should be fine with a hood that large. The big issue with open flame indoors is having it ventilated. Converting our Pilot to steam with the help of some fine folks on this website. Was able to pick up a few steam kettles cheap. Piping them into our current boiler is not so cheap but worth it in the end.
                  Joel Halbleib
                  Partner / Zymurgist
                  Hive and Barrel Meadery
                  6302 Old La Grange Rd
                  Crestwood, KY
                  www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
                  X