shipping used equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping used equipment

I am fairly new to the industry and have recently opened a new brewery in VA. I have purchased most of the equipment in my brewery used via classifieds such as probrewer. Most of my shipping experiences thus far range from huge disasters to mildly unpleasant. I would like to know how to find the best situation, company, rate, etc. when I purchase used equipment and the seller wants me to ship. Any help is much appreciated. -John

What kinda experiance did you have? Any suggestions how to avoid problems. I'm considering used equipment in America and having it shipped over here to Italy. The prices are too low to compete with the prices over here.
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

The only advice I can give is:

1. No matter what you do, don't ship with ABF. They DESTROYED my 7bbl brew kettle and then denied my claim saying that it was like that when they picked it up even thought I had pictures to prove otherwise.
      2.Don't use Jevic if you want anything on time
      3.Don't use SAIA if you want them to pick up at all
      4.Freightquote.com screwed up, but at least did their part to fix things.
      5.FedEx is good but very expensive.

I've yet to have a good experience shipping, so please let me know if you've had a good experience and if so who with -John

Comment

Shipping

Hey gang.

I am a professional brewer who sometimes moves equipment
        on the side. My biggest advice is this: INSURANCE. Look, no
        matter who moves and or ships your equipment there is risk of
        damage, customs, on time issues, etc. It is often difficult to get
        anyone to accept responsibility....so CYA and buy some insurance.
        It's cheap (sometimes as low a $100) and the insurance co. will
        get the responsible party to pay so you don't have to mess with
        it. You wouldn't operate your business without at least a basic
        liability policy, so don't ship something as vital as a brewhouse
        without some.

Also...photograph everything, and make sure the driver looks
        over the load with you both on departure and arrival.
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

Thanks John I'll avoid them if possible. I may not have much choice in the international shipping arena.

Larry, you move equipment? I'll be in Philly in june- july, my home town is west chester. After my cheese steak we could meet and talk about moving a 20-30 hl plant over here? Interested... Give me a email romabrew@libero.it

I already have my eye on a few. Any thing I should know about DME. I am finding alot of good looking sytems by DME on the market and the fact they have an office in England makes me feel a little more safe.
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Michael,

you might want to contact Andy Rathman. He is the brewmaster @ St George in Hampton, VA and used to work for DME. He could probably tell you anything you want to know about DME. -John

Comment

just hire the right people to pack your delivery.If you need any help give me a call. Ive been building tanks for 10 yrs and shipping for 15yrs domestic and over seas.

Cheers
              Jeff Gregory
              Jeff's Stainless Solutions
              858-775-8691
              Email Jeffssolutions@aol.com

Comment

Working...
              X