Plastic Conicals: Racking Port or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Conicals: Racking Port or no?

I'm presently putting together parts lists for my 300L (gross) plastic conicals.

Just wondering how necessary it is to include a racking port on vessels this size, as I've never fermented in anything larger than about 60L before this.

As best I can see, I should just be able to dump all of the yeast and trub out the dump valve at the bottom, then transfer to the brite tank out of that.

If possible I'd like to avoid using a fairly large bulkhead fitting on the (curved) side wall of the fermenter. Especially since I'll want to remove it regularly for cleaning. (Not to mention that it'll save some money on fittings.)

Thanks for any advice you all might have!

I have been using 7 BBL plastic fermenters and I can tell you for sure that you will want a racking arm. We had a port and bulkhead installed. When you dump yeast from the bottom valve you never really get to a perfectly clear solution. Hops and trub continues to slide down the sides of the cone and mixes with the beer coming out. The racking arm allows you to pull from the clean beer in the middle of the fermenter.

Originally posted by oswiu View Post
    I'm presently putting together parts lists for my 300L (gross) plastic conicals.

Just wondering how necessary it is to include a racking port on vessels this size, as I've never fermented in anything larger than about 60L before this.

As best I can see, I should just be able to dump all of the yeast and trub out the dump valve at the bottom, then transfer to the brite tank out of that.

If possible I'd like to avoid using a fairly large bulkhead fitting on the (curved) side wall of the fermenter. Especially since I'll want to remove it regularly for cleaning. (Not to mention that it'll save some money on fittings.)

Thanks for any advice you all might have!
    Erik Olsen
    Co-founder
    Kelsen Brewing Company
    Derry, New Hampshire

Comment

Yea you need a racking arm or just a racking port higher up the fermenter, especially with plastic
      Conicals like the post above me said: the yeast and trub really sticks to the sides of the fermenter and it
      Would take forever to get it all out the bottom before you get clear beer out

Comment

Working...
      X