Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Chiller Question - A lower cost alternative

Hello everyone,

First off this is my first post and I wanted to thank you all for this amazing resource. I have been browsing in the background for sometime and am finally beginning to take the steps to make our dream a reality and the help here has been so valuable.

Anyways, I haven't seen any post in regards to this particular topic (if I missed it I am sorry, I just briefly looked through to see). I have been researching a more cost effective method to get a glycol system implemented for our jacketed fermenters. The option from pro-chiller would be great but would be rather capital intensive. I found some small chillers that are used to chill beverage lines that could likely be used to cool our tanks (if we got a chiller for each perhaps)! Would these be a viable alternative (http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...er/index.shtml). Unfortunately, I am unsure of the size that would be required to chill a 7BBL tank.

Thanks,

Andrew

I guess I need to look a harder next time. Either way, thank you very much for your prompt response.

Comment

your buddies over here at JCY would like to help you!

J.C. Younger Company
      JCY INDUSTRIAL CHILLERS
      5626 West Lake Street
      Minneapolis, MN 55416
      JC Younger produces reliable, American-made industrial chillers for the breweries, cannabis, hemp, and more. Based in Minneapolis, MN.

Telephone952-929-1838 Fax 952-929-8778[/CENTER]

February 13, 2014
      Afternoon Andrew,
      Sandy here at JCY.
      We would like to invite you for a free consultation call as to help you better understand your sizing, expansion, designs of systems out there.
      Please drop me a line at 952-929-1838 or on my cell at 612-250-5397 anytime.
      I look forward to helping you solve your cooling demand and hopefully be your cooling solution!

Cheerz Sandy Y.
      JC Younger Company “Your Chiller Pro’z”
      JC Younger produces reliable, American-made industrial chillers for the breweries, cannabis, hemp, and more. Based in Minneapolis, MN.

ETL Listed/USA Made
      Master Refrigeration licensed shop
      Fully insured shop
      All Dunwoody Technical college Graduates employed by JCY
      Family owned and operated since 1956
      Member of MN Brewers Guild since September 2012
      Member of the Minnesota Brewers Association - Allied Trade Membership since 2013
      Member of Pro-brewer since 2010
      Doing business in the brewery industry since 2005
      Doing business in MPLS area since 1956 “help support local business”
      J.C. Younger Company
      5626 WEST LAKE STREET
      MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55416
      (952) 929-1838

Comment

I currently am using the UBC 1/2hp extra to cool 2 5-BBL bright tanks. I only have too chill them too 38F 24/7. So no need too have solenoids or temp control, like ferm. temp ramps of 68-to 34F. There's a link on here of a guy using the UBC 3/4hp with the extra pump to chill 2 10bbl fermenters. He's using johnson controlers too turn the pumps on and off to their induvdual temps instead of using a constant loop with not solenoids. Not the best for the motors being turned on&off frequently, but works well on a low budget for awhile. Heres the link: http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...rmenters/page2

Comment

For 1 7-BBL ferm. you will need about 2650 btu/hr minimum to chill 7 BBLs from 68F to 34F in 24 hours,(industry standard). To figure out btu/hr demand is pretty simple. Take the weight of beer in gals. x 8.6( 1 gal water plus .avg terminal gravity) x Temp diff. / divded cooling time in hours.

Basic Load Calculator:

Weight x Temp Drop = BTU/hr Load

BTU load divided by the length in hours too achieve temp drop provides the minimum BTU/hr duty.

Example: 1- 7bbl fermenter

7 bbls x 31 gallons (beer) = 217 .gals
          217 x 8.34 lb (1 gal water) = 1809.78 lbs
          1809.78 x 1.012(avg. gravity) = 1831.50 lbs
          Cooling from 68F - 34F = 34 temp differential
          1831.50 x 34 (temp. diff) = 62271/ Btu
          Cooling time in hrs ( lets use 24hr in this example)
          62271 / 24hrs = 2595 Btu/hr duty

Lets say you want too drop from 68F to 34F in 12 hrs instead of 24

62271 / 12hrs = 5190 Btu/hr duty

You can use the above formula with whatever temp differentials and cooling time to figure out your minimum cooling capacity you need. Also a
          1- ton chiller is roughly 12000/btu hr capacity.

Cheers!! Hope my babbling made some sense.

Comment

My 5-bbl Brite tanks
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	190265

Comment

Working...
            X