No announcement yet.

"Beverly" DO meter from Hamilton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No the Beverly does not do co2 and it's also not accurate enough for can piercing. You can source a can piercer straight from zahm and nagel

Comment

Yes you can

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
      No the Beverly does not do co2 and it's also not accurate enough for can piercing. You can source a can piercer straight from zahm and nagel
      I reads down to 4ppb at +/1 5 ppb....which for a craft brewery is PLENTY fine for measuring DO in your finished cans. Used one for this for years. If you're tighter than that, I'd be super surprised (or you're just getting incorrect numbers). +1 on calibrate often...also DO NOT use caustic as suggested in the instructions to clean. You'll shred the sensor cap. We use alconox.
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Horwitz View Post
        I reads down to 4ppb at +/1 5 ppb....which for a craft brewery is PLENTY fine for measuring DO in your finished cans. Used one for this for years. If you're tighter than that, I'd be super surprised (or you're just getting incorrect numbers). +1 on calibrate often...also DO NOT use caustic as suggested in the instructions to clean. You'll shred the sensor cap. We use alconox.
        Those are the specs Hamilton gives you but not actually reality. In reality the Beverly reads 0 across the board when reading our cellar tanks and cans which simply isn't true. This is calibrated with 99.999 spec nitrogen. I have one too. And it's not accurate at low levels

Comment

recalibrate or replace cap

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
          Those are the specs Hamilton gives you but not actually reality. In reality the Beverly reads 0 across the board when reading our cellar tanks and cans which simply isn't true. This is calibrated with 99.999 spec nitrogen. I have one too. And it's not accurate at low levels
          You've either calibrated incorrectly, or you need a new sensor cap. These tend to fail up, not down...so i'd guess calibration error. The one not-so-great thing about the meter is the instructions for calibration and maintenance.....they're just not well done. try this out:

Dissolved oxygen meter calibration, maintenance, and sample measurement

Meter should be rinsed with DA water after every use / at end of day
          Meter should be cleaned with 1% Alconox cleaning solution once per week. Calibration should always be performed after cleaning. (weekly)

Equipment/Materials Needed:
          • Hamilton Beverly DO meter
          • 5-gallon bucket
          • 17L bottle of calibration air
          • 17L bottle of zero-point calibration gas (99.999% Nitrogen)
          • Norlab 0.5SLPM rotameter
          • ¼” x ¼” male-to-male quick-disconnect adapter
          • Positive displacement draft pump
          • ¼" male quick-disconnect to sample valve adapter
          • Clips to hold hoses into 5-gallon bucket while cleaning
          • 20psi regulated air line
          Chemicals or Reagents Needed:
          • 1% Alconox cleaning solution
          • Squeeze bottle of approved iodaphor sanitizer
          PPE for this task includes:
          • Safety glasses
          • Rubber gloves
          Hazards to be aware of:
          • Eye and skin irritation from contact with 1% Alconox cleaning solution
          • Potential for PD pump hoses to slip out of bucket while circulating 1% Alconox cleaning solution through DO meter (hence the clips to hold the hoses into the bucket)
          • Pressurized vessels: Sampling can occur from pressurized vessels, whether hydrostatic or pneumatic. Always look upstream before opening any valves. Ensure all hose connections are sufficiently tight.

Calibration
          The Beverly DO meter is calibrated using a two-step process: first, an Air Calibration and then a Zero Calibration.
          • Navigate to the “Calibration” menu page using the arrow keys. You will need to input a four-digit password to proceed: “8761”
          Air Calibration:
          1. Select “Air Calibration” to proceed.
          2. Ensuring the flow valve is closed, attach the 0.5SLPM rotameter to the 17L bottle of calibration air.
          3. Connect Beverly inlet to rotameter hose. (See picture for example of setup)
          4. Open outlet valve on Beverly unit and open outlet valve on rotameter. Set rotameter flowrate to approximately 500mL/min.
          5. Press “Enter” to initiate Air Calibration. This process takes 300 seconds, as indicated on the digital display of the Beverly unit. Press enter to return to the main calibration menu when “Air calibration ok!” is displayed.
          Zero Calibration:
          1. Select “Zero Calibration” to proceed.
          2. Ensuring the rotameter flow valve is closed, attach the 0.5SLPM rotameter to the 17L bottle of zero-point calibration gas.
          3. Connect Beverly inlet to rotameter hose. (See picture for example of setup)
          4. Open outlet valve on Beverly unit and open outlet valve on rotameter. Set rotameter flowrate to approximately 500mL/min.
          5. Press “Enter” to initiate Zero Calibration. This process takes 300 seconds, as indicated on the digital display of the Beverly unit. Press enter to return to the main calibration menu when “Zero calibration ok!” is displayed.

Cleaning the Dissolved Oxygen Meter
          1. In a clean 5-gallon bucket prepare 1 gallon of room-temperature 1% Alconox cleaning solution.
          2. Connect the DO unit inlet to the outlet of the positive-displacement draft cleaning pump using the ¼” x ¼” male-to-male quick disconnect adapter. Fully submerge inlet of draft cleaning pump and the outlet of the DO unit in the bucket of 1% Alconox cleaning solution. Note: Best practice is to use two small clips to affix the hoses to the top of the bucket of cleaning solution to ensure the hoses to not slip out of the bucket/cleaning solution.
          3. Attach 20psi regulated air line to positive displacement draft pump to begin recirculating cleaning solution through the DO meter. Allow %1 Alconox solution to recirculate through the DO meter for no less than 15min.
          4. Disconnect air line from positive displacement pump and remove hoses from 1% Alconox solution. Thoroughly rinse the 5-gallon bucket and fill with room-temperature water.
          5. Place DO meter inlet hose into the bucket of rinse water and place the outlet hose of the positive-displacement pump into another bucket or floor drain.
          6. Reconnect 20psi regulated air line to positive-displacement pump to begin rinsing the pump and the DO unit. Best practice is to pump entire contents of bucket through the DO meter.
          7. Using a low-pressure air line (5psi), dry the Beverly unit by allowing the air to flow through the sensor path while the inlet valve is completely open. Best practice is to use the air line behind the canning line before the coalescing water filter, using the rotameter on the wall to set flow at approximately 0.5lpm.
          8. Recalibrate DO meter (see process above)
          • NOTE: ALWAYS recalibrate DO meter after cleaning.
          Larry Horwitz

Comment

I agree with most of the comments on this thread. I have used Orbisphere, Cbox, and the Bev. IÂ’ve seen the Pentair in use but have never used it myself.

The Bev is the best tool for value ratio of the four in my humble opinion. It offers an acceptable entry point ($$) to measuring and quantifying DO both in cellar and in package. It is also very user friendly. You pay for the capital savings in calibrations, amount of product needed for readings, and somewhat in accuracy. ItÂ’s been a while since I went over the finite details, but I do believe Bev uses an optical sensor which is just not as accurate as the Electro-chemical method that Anton uses if memory serves correct. I only look for threshold readings, so anything sub 30Â’s IÂ’m not really worried about the degree of accuracy drift.

The orb was a bit less user friendly, but offered some good data collection advantages. It was more expensive (less than double the Bev though), and calibration seemed to be needed about the same. I did not find an advantage to it myself. In fact, I believe it will not read higher concentrations needed in cellar side measurements (ppm).

Cbox is the hands down winner, but costs 4x the price. It does CO2 and O2, uses minimal product and is extremely accurate. Fairly easy to use, data is great, and itÂ’s just as portable as the others. The support from AP is awesome. The downside is the tubing is smaller than the Bev which means it can clog up the inline filter easier with turbid samples. The intense capital cost is the only real downside. You are leveraging cellar tanks (production) vs QA/QC at midsized breweries or smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by foxtown View Post
              I've been looking into one of these or the gehaltemeter. Does anyone know where to get a good can piercer to use with this? Does the Beverly do CO2 as well?
              You have a PM about can piercers

Comment

What are you guys using for quick disconnect fitting to rinse out the meter? I'd like to get something in between the meter and the zwickle attachment device. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X