Chiller appropriate for 10bbl system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiller appropriate for 10bbl system

Any recommendations for a solid heat exchanger in a new 10 barrel brewhouse?

Prefer something we can take apart to clean without huge hassle. Located in Pacific Northwest region.

Thanks!

The HX mfg can assist you with sizing of your HX.
    Thermaline is in your neck if the woods.
    heat exchanger, plate heat exchanger, shell and tube, heat transfer, Thermaline, hot water system, double pipe

I would recommend to oversize it about 15%.

Comment

Lot of people use Mueller Accu-Therms http://www.muel.com/ProductDivisions...Exchangers.cfm
      Russell Everett
      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
      Bainbridge Island Brewing
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Forgot to mention that 5-10% of our brews will be seasonal lagers. More realistically, probably 10 bbls every 60 days or so. Thanks!

Comment

You'll never cool lower than your cold water temperature, right? So either you need a two-stage exchanger (run the wort through water first to drop down from boiling, then a glycol secondary stage to get down to lager temp) or you have a glycol chilled cold liquor tank and run that through there instead of street water. Both of which are added space and/or expense. Or go Cheap and Cheerful: just get it cool as you can with your ground water, pump it into the fermenter, crash it there with your glycol jackets, dump the cold break and pitch yeast in the morning. (Works for us!)
          Last edited by Bainbridge; 05-19-2014, 11:30 AM.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Using municipal H2O at~45F (pretty average H2O temp for the northwest), we run 18 bbls of 205F (boiling point of H2O at our elevation) wort through our Mueller T20 C-20 28 plate HX in about 30 minutes, with a wort-out temp of 72F. No chiller needed. We also recover most of the 140F waste water from the HX for heating in our hot liquor system. A calorie saved is a calorie earned!

While it's nice to be able to tear the HX down for cleaning, it's nerve-racking and potentially disastrous. I tear ours down every few years, with no one else in the brewery to confuse me or move anything. Mueller does supply diagrams of the plate order, but they are not real easy to suss out, so I take pains to just keep everything in the right order, and test afterwards.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Yes Timm, we'll be reclaiming HX liquor as well - right back into the HLT. Not looking forward to breaking down the plate chiller, but I know some people that've done it many times, so I'll have them on hand for my maiden voyage...

Russell,
              Pitching the morning after is not a bad plan, but what about firing up the cooling jackets at the beginning of the lager brewday? Wouldn't this provide some extra cooling for the incoming wort after knockout? Or would it not make an appreciable difference in temperature...? Waste of energy?

Thanks,

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by prospectbrewer View Post
                Yes Timm, we'll be reclaiming HX liquor as well - right back into the HLT. Not looking forward to breaking down the plate chiller, but I know some people that've done it many times, so I'll have them on hand for my maiden voyage...

Russell,
                Pitching the morning after is not a bad plan, but what about firing up the cooling jackets at the beginning of the lager brewday? Wouldn't this provide some extra cooling for the incoming wort after knockout? Or would it not make an appreciable difference in temperature...? Waste of energy?

Thanks,

Michael
                Can't see why it'd hurt. Well, unless you just did a CIP cycle and it's toasty hot in there and you cap it and run the jackets. Crunch time! So yeah, remember everyone: always turn off the glycol before CIPing a tank.

But if it's room temp then you're really just cooling the air and steel in there. I think the 300 gallon thermal mass of the wort is going to be higher than the steel it comes in contact with, by a wide margin. 10 to 1 if I remember correctly. So any difference will be minor, maybe get you a 15 minute head start. But it won't hurt anything.

EDIT: Also, don't plan your HX around taking it apart. That's the last resort. Plan your CIP process and piping so that you can clean the holy hell out of it each and every time. Then you won't need to take it apart more than every couple years, if that. We have arranged ours so that we can recirc HLT water through the cold water side if we want. That way it actually heats the caustic and recirculates the HLT as it cleans the HX and the Kettle in one big loop. See the discussion: hyah.
                Last edited by Bainbridge; 05-20-2014, 01:22 PM.
                Russell Everett
                Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

8.4bbl system - new startup

Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice on a chilling system for a new 8.4bbl brewery I'm building in Tasmania, Australia.

I'm moving into a building with a cheese manufacturer (separate rooms, well-isolated from their cultures!) with access to a huge cool room which they run at 35.6F. I'm considering chilling 8.4bbl of water in the coolroom (stored in an IBC), then moving it with a forklift when time to chill, relying on gravity to run the water into a plate chiller.

I purchased this little plate chiller from a dairy farmer for $200AU - an absolute steal. Trouble is, I'm pretty sure it's too small(?). I've been on the look-out for another unit to plumb in series to assist it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	190425

Any advice?

Swifty
                  kick|snare brewing pty ltd
                  Tasmania, Australia
                  Swifty

kick|snare brewing pty ltd
                  Tasmania, Australia