X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery Equipment help

Hi Guys,

First post here, sorry if this has been asked here before

We're a new brewery in Ireland and we've been contract brewing for a while but are now ready to looking get our own brewery up and running,

We're looking for a 12-16hl, 2 vessel system, Mash / lauter tun and Copper / Whirlpool with the option of expenaidng to a 3 and 4 in the future,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendation for some US or Canadian manufacturers we could contact?

Thanks in advance,

Kev
    Stone Barrel Brewing
    Dublin
    Ireland

Lots of suppliers in the UK as well. Much easier to nip across the Irish Sea to see examples and chat 121 with people than going to NA.

Johnson Brewing
    Moeschle
    Microdat

I think it is Chinese Bottling Supplies who are now importing Chinese kit, but say they are inspecting and carefully quality controlling what they get built and import. I haven't seen any of the product. I expect there was some kit at BeerX in Sheffield recently, but I was working outside the UK that week.

If you want any consultancy help, I have a few contacts, at least two of whom have worked in Ireland before (and a couple more suppliers, not just those off the top of my head) who will probably be happy to help. I can certainly help to an extent, but am happy to pass on to others if you would like "full on" consultancy.
    dick

Comment

Thanks Dick,

Have sent them a mail,

Cheers for your help,

Kev
      Stone Barrel Brewing
      Dublin
      Ireland

Comment

Equipment Recommendations

Hi Kev, I've been in the brewing industry since 1989 and I'd recommend checking w/ rolec: http://www.rolec-gmbh.com/1-1-Company.html.
        My opinion is that Newlands is the best in Canada: http://www.nsibrew.com . They are very good and workmanship is excellent.
        GW Kent is doing equiment but I have no experience w/ them except that they are very good to deal with as a customer.
        I have worked with the chinese company Zhongde's equipment; it is an absolute nightmare. My advice would be to avoid any chinese equipment.
        There's a lot of snake oil salesman out there so whatever you do be careful. Hope that might help.

Comment

I disagree...

Sorry Duug, but I must disagree with you on "absolute nightmare". It is almost certain that you will wake up from a nightmare.... Why aren't people who sell "local" beer buying local equipment? Seems hypocritical to me to ask folks to pay more for your beer because it's "local" and then use substandard equipment from the other side of the world.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Yikes!

Phillip!

I hesitate to pester you very often since I am researching starting a craft brewery in the Philippines, and I unfortunately don't have the budget to hire you at this time, but I gotta ask this of you.

If China is a mistake, where would you recommend sourcing equipment in this neck of the woods? My business partner would love equipment from Japan if possible, and it seems like Australia may be a possibility, but I am being over-inundated by companies from China looking to break into the market here...

Thanks,

Dave W

Comment

Maybe not a mistake...

If you are familiar with German, Canadian, or US equipment, then you cannot expect the same degree of quality craftsmanship, experience, or support from China. It's an emerging market and the learning curve is steep--for both the buyers and sellers. They do things differently. The language barrier is exacerbated by technical terms and differing standards. If you have a background in engineering, pour over every detailed drawing, communicate daily, and take a few trips to assure that equipment is being built to your specifications; and if you don't mind Chinese pumps, motors, drives, valves, heat exchangers, and fittings being of cheaper quality; if you can program controllers and VFDs, read ladder logic, understand your local industrial electric codes, work well with steam; if you can find spare parts, mating components for plumbing and electrical, reweld questionable joints, and assemble most of the components yourself; if you don't mind to work hard and have the time and patience to piece things together and look for obscure parts; then you will likely save money. Maybe "substantially". If you want something to work very well right out of the box, then no. Many folks have said it; and I wholeheartedly agree: You get what you pay for. China will sell you a cheap system. Up to you to decide.
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

also In china , there have many good manufacturer, keep good for tank's quality and services, you must choice carefully.

Lyra
                E-Mail: rose@dsehz.com
                Tel: 86-755-33654166 Mobile No.:+86 15915495421
                Fax: 86-755-88283125

Comment

Dave,

Having worked as a brewer in Japan, let me say that there is very little good brewing equipment MADE there, unless it's made by the brewery itself. I don't mean valves and stuff (Nippon Sanitary butterfly valves are the best I've seen!) but tanks and brew vessels are pretty bad. Most of the brewing equipment I've seen there is from Canada, Italy, or Germany.

I agree with Phillip that buying Chinese is a game of roulette, and I've seen 20 scary systems for every good one made there. Good equipment DOES come from China, but as he says, only if you are familiar with the engineering and manufacturing, and you go there to ensure quality...and have the chutzpah to tell them when things are wrong!

PM me, I may know a couple of quality suppliers that you haven't tried, yet. And beware of US suppliers that are actually re-selling Chinese gear!

Comment

Working...
                  X