Help with carbonation in brite tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with carbonation in brite tank

I need some guidance with carbonating in my brite tank. I currently have a brite tank that resides inside a walk-in cooler. (it is not jacketed). The brite tank is 2 bbl. I am having issues with consistency. Really, I think it is a matter of finding the right process for me.

Here is what I currently am doing. I transferred the beer to brite under pressure. The beer was allowed to cool down to around 39 degrees prior to applying CO2. 39 degrees is about the best I can get and the temp was taken from the actual beer and not the room.

I put around 3 pounds of head pressure on the tank and applied around 15 pounds of psi through the stone. Around 12 hours later, the tank pressure was around 12 psi.

I used my pigtail sample valve to test the beer and it seems to be lots of foam but not as carbonated in the body of the beer. Here is the sample valve I have. http://www.gwkent.com/sample-valve-1-1-2in-tc-1.html This is the first time I have used the sample valve to test the beer and am not completely satisfied I am using it properly, either. Is there a certain head pressure you should use when drawing a sample? Should there be an additional pig tail (hose length) from the coil?

I have used another process in the past which was suggested by someone on the forum. I applied 10 pounds of head pressure and around 18 - 20 psi of tank pressure through the stone. Once the meter reaches around 14 pounds it is ready. This worked well but was for a stout which I didn't need as carbonated. I will add a dissolved CO2 meter in the future but for now it is a matter of financial priority.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is the thread you want:

Follow everything gitchegumee says, including the McMaster flowmeter recommendation.

Comment

Working...
    X