Hoses and in's and out's sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoses and in's and out's sizing

Hi- We are a self financed nano-brewery trying to grow incrementally. We brew about 3 barrels on a brew day, that's running a 1.5 bbl system 2x. Our first upgrade was to purchase a 5 bbl brite tank (Carbonating in the keg, while fun and pec building, is proving too time consuming and crazy making. It's over-carbed- that one's under-carbed...acckk!) If all goes well, over time, the brew house and fermenters will follow size upgrade wise.

So we ordered the tank and a CPE C114 pump. Now I'm just trying to figure out hoses, primarily for running the cip ball. Our existing kettle and HL Tank have 3/4" NPT outs, this is where my cleaner and hot water rinse would come from, and the ins on the brite are 1" and/or 1.5".
    Does anyone have advice or experience with a situation like this? My concern is that the water coming out of the kettle will run too slow for the pump and the larger hose going into the brite. If my worries are groundless, great, but if it will be an issue, any ideas on what I should do? I apologize if I sound like an idiot- I'm basically the front office person. Thanks for your help!

depending on the length of your hose runs, the line resistance will determine the ID of the hoses. Usually 1 1/2" ID works fine for transfer and CIP both, but the 3/4" port on your kettle might be a bottle-neck. If there is too much restriction on the inlet side of your pump, you'll get cavitation, which can damage the pump and make for very inefficient pumping--if any. If you bought a three-phase motor for your C114, get a frequency drive big enough to drive it, and then you can adjust the motor speed to compensate for the restricted inlet.

BTW, if you plan to pump wort or beer with your C114 (excellent choice, IMHO), you'll need to put a water rinse on your external pump seal. Anything you can rig that runs a little cold water over the seal will work, and exponentially increase the life of that seal. Otherwise, you'll at least have the advantage of a very easy to replace seal.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
    X