Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey/Ashy character in beers, please help so I don't kill myself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would bet my brewery on scorched wort. We had a problem on our direct fire system that gave identical flavors. Can you taste it in a sample as you send the beer to the fermenter?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogwash View Post
      It's people like you who are fucking this industry.
      He knows these are things he needs to fix, and seems like hes doing the best he can with what he has. Ill be the first to admit that I started my place completely wrong, but I did the same thing the OP did and asked for help to remedy my issues instead of just continuing to wear blinders and serve *&^% beer.

I think your anger is better aimed at those who don't come here for help, but even then... I think you need to just have a beer and cool your jets.

Comment

The issue has been resolved, it was the elements. They have been switched to low watt density and the issue has stopped. Thannk you for everyone's input.

Comment

Great result!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WaterEng
            Be aware that even with low-density elements and proper power modulation, you will still have to clean off the crud that will deposit on the elements. There will be the easy to scrub organic deposits, but there will eventually be a crustier mineral-like film deposit that won't easily come off. That will require occasional removal with a percarbonate-based cleaner.
            Thank you, I clean them after every single brew. Currently cleaning with Zep CIP Caustic @ 140F at 2oz per gallon with a min 25 minute soak. They are then scrubbed with a wire brush and hosed off, they look brand new after cleaning. I plan on never having this happen again.

Comment

Working...
            X