Trying a different carbing setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying a different carbing setup

The instructionsI got for carbing was pumping to the cellars and carbing in line. However, this never really worked well. Between increasing head pressure on the cellar and pushing against beer weight, the transfer would inevitably stall out. Venting the cellar caused foam up and a big mess. No way to hook up a gas return to the fermenter due to setup. No port to install a carb stone in the cellar. This last batch I tried something new. I transfered the batch out to the cellar first, then hooked up the pump to recirculate the beer from the cellar, to the carb stone (30 PSI), right back to the cellar.

Are there any specific things I should watch out for with this setup? Is there any reason not to do it this way?

Isobaric carbonation- measure head pressure (pressurized to just under target psi) and when beer is saturated it will increase head pressure. When target psi hit- you're done!

Working reliably on my small scale anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JC McDowell
    Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
    Darby, MT- population 700
    OPENED Black Friday 2014!

Comment

I've had to use a similar set-up in a pinch before. I have learned the following things to be careful with it.

1) Crank your pump down as slow as possible. Helps increase rate of carbing and decrease the beer getting beat up so much.
      2) Slow and steady wins the carb race. This tactic normally took me 6 hrs for 10 bbl however I hit spot on without foam or overcarbing.
      3) As previously said put your head pressure just below your target carb (See Force Carb Charts), once it raises you should be good.
      4) Use a fining agent(I used BioFine Clear) your are stirring everything up so needs extra work to settle.

Hope this helps

Comment

Yup- slow as possible. I use a flow meter on co2; no regulator; and a sight glass to insure breakout of carb stone in line.

I use bio fine as well; dispersion is excellent with this method.

Now when kegging- I pressurize kegs 1 psi below target to insure minimal loss in transfer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        JC McDowell
        Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
        Darby, MT- population 700
        OPENED Black Friday 2014!

Comment

Working...
        X