Kuriyama Hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuriyama Hose?

Im setting up a new nanobrewery and I can get some Kuriyama 240 PSI Crush Resistant Food & Beverage Suction & Discharge Hose for a very good price. It is Chlorobutyl lined and EPDM exterior just like the much more expensive Goodyear vintners hose or the NoveFlex hose I see mentioned here quite a bit but this hose is only rated to 176 degrees for some reason. It also says it can withstand 30 minutes of steam cleaning up to 226 degrees however. If the material in the lining is rated to a higher temperature in other hoses, why would this one be rated so much lower? If it just gets a less rigid or something like that, I would be inclined to use it, however I would not want it to leech anything into the beer however that seems unlikely to me due to the material used. Does anyone have any experience with this hose or any knowledge of it?

Heres the link to the manufacturers page

I sent in a question to Kuriyama as well the other day and got a response if anyone was curious.

"The reason our temperature rating is so much lower than Goodyears and Novaflex has to do with the quality of the tube. If we added fillers into our compounds we can increase the temperature but we do not do that. You can use our hose at higher temps in 30 minute intervals but prolonged exposure to those higher temperatures will significantly reduce the service life of the hose. The tube will begin to “cook” and start to crack over time."

Comment

EPDM Cover

FYI - temperature range per their website is 176F.

Kuriyama of America manufactures a complete line of commercial & industrial hoses that includes thermoplastic, rubber & metal hose products & accessories.

I've seen a range of high temp ratings for these hoses, so I'm not sure if its due to rubber quality, manufacturing procedure, etc. It looks like the same materials used in most sani hoses (aside from the cover).

I'd be concerned with the EPDM cover (as opposed to UHMW with most hoses). EPDM is less resistant to wear/tear and strong caustic solutions (and they see a lot of both on the floor of a brewery). But they are less expensive. If you're good to them, you'll probably get more than enough life to realize the savings.
      Kyle Kohlmorgen
      Process/Automation Consultant
      St. Louis, MO

Comment

Working...
      X