what to do with spent hops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with spent hops?

Our spent hop volume in increasing and the farmer we donate our grain to is anxious about hops as he has heard they are posinous to some animals. He is feeding the grain to pigs. Can anyone substantiate this or can we mix the trub in with the spent grain??? Unfortunately we don't actively compost at the moment and we are looking for a solution to get rid of our hop trub....
    Thanks

I'm familiar that many breeds of dogs cannot ingest hops, but didn't know anything about pigs... but, I did find this thread that seems to indicate, toxic or not, pigs don't seem to care for them much...

Kevin Shertz
    Chester River Brewing Company
    Chestertown, MD

Comment

I used to sell some of my hops to a horse lady. She said it help deworm the horses,but i don't know about spent hops.

Comment

I don't think they're particularly toxic, but the piggies sure don't like them. We separate trub and yeast+dryhops in one trash can, and clean yeast in another. Hop can gets composted by the farmer, clean can goes to pigs.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Most animals do not like hops, though cattle and pigs can be trained to eat them. Our farmer will take anything "normal" to the brewing process and uses to his own discretion, composts the rest. Hops are not listed in Cornell's Plants Poisonous to Livestock database. Good luck and say hello to Jim; it was fun tooling around Yakima with him.
          First time, Long time.
          Matchless Brewing
          Three Magnets Brewing
          Olympia WA

Comment

Some piggies will eat hops, some piggies won't, and farmers can be just as fickle about what they'll take and what they won't.

Hops aren't poisonous to piggies, but if your farmer is happy to be taking your grain (sometimes the farmer knows full well he is doing you a favour…) ask if he is happy to use the hops to mulch his fields as well.

Comment

Working...
            X