Mangrove Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mangrove Jack

Anyone have any input on these dry yeasts?
    We've used s04 for PA and IPAs but it tends to get just a bit too fruity and estery (fermenting at 18 C). I'm not to happy with US05 and everyone else uses it. Id like something with a bit more character but not as powdery and clean as US05. Been thinking about Nottingham by Lallemand but haven't tried it. Mangrove Jacks can be bought in 500g packs but it is hard to get any hands on info other from homebrew forums making the info a bit.... Well.... Many other parameters might affect home fermentations.

My friend brewed a Hefe with their Bavarian Wheat and it was fantastic!! He's gonna give me a pack of their workhorse yeast which I'll use soon. To be honest though, I think their american strains are going to be a lot like US-05 or San Diego Super Yeast - clean, highly attenuative but no character. To me that's fine for and IPA.

Comment

Thanks for the input! What batch size? Any details on mash and fermentation regime?

Comment

Might not be what you want to hear but it was a 5 gallon homebrew batch. He has a climate controlled room and I believe he set it to 64F for the first 3-4 days and then raised the room up to 68-70F for the remainder of fermentation. He packaged after 14 days. It was by far the best American made hefe I have ever had. Since hefes are all about the yeast I have to give this one 2 thumbs up! I would also say that the info on homebrew forums is well worth taking into consideration. I know many hombrewers whose quality control standards are just as high as any commercial brewery.

Comment

Originally posted by amcclai7 View Post
          Might not be what you want to hear but it was a 5 gallon homebrew batch....
          <snip>
          I would also say that the info on homebrew forums is well worth taking into consideration. I know many hombrewers whose quality control standards are just as high as any commercial brewery.

I agree that the homebrew forums are definitely worth checking out.
          I know many homebrewers whose quality control standards are actually higher than some commercial breweries.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskusDelph View Post
            I agree that the homebrew forums are definitely worth checking out.
            I know many homebrewers whose quality control standards are actually higher than some commercial breweries.
            I didn't mean that homebrewers make bad beer or have bad quality control in general! But there is a great diversity and with commercial breweries you have the possibility to check quality yourself. That's not possible with homebrewers so to value the info is much harder imo.

Comment

I've been very happy with Mangrove Jack's "West Coast" (M44). I've used it on 6 batches and have gotten attenuation between 82 and 85% each time. That's what I've gotten with similar yeasts (including BRY-97), but the M-44 has a cleaner profile than any other top fermenting dry yeasts that I've used. I'm a big fan.
              The "Workhorse" (M10) from Mangrove Jack's, on the other hand, was disappointing. I only used it once because the first time I used it the fermentation stuck at over 4 Plato. I had split this batch across three fermenters, and the other two finished under 3 Plato. Pitching rates and ferment temps were the same.

Comment

Originally posted by mattriggs View Post
                I've been very happy with Mangrove Jack's "West Coast" (M44). I've used it on 6 batches and have gotten attenuation between 82 and 85% each time. That's what I've gotten with similar yeasts (including BRY-97), but the M-44 has a cleaner profile than any other top fermenting dry yeasts that I've used. I'm a big fan.
                The "Workhorse" (M10) from Mangrove Jack's, on the other hand, was disappointing. I only used it once because the first time I used it the fermentation stuck at over 4 Plato. I had split this batch across three fermenters, and the other two finished under 3 Plato. Pitching rates and ferment temps were the same.
                So you would recommend M44 over US-05 for a clean, highly attenuating dry yeast?

Comment

Yes. M44 seems to be a much better flocculator and, in my opinion, has lower ester production than US05.

Comment

Working...
                  X