Brewing a triple batch in two days, comments requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing a triple batch in two days, comments requested

I currently brew on a 30bbl system and I normally have to brew a triple batch (90bbls) each week. I usually do a single batch on day one and day two I brew the next two batches. My question is can anyone tell me if there are any negative aspects to doing a double on day one and topping up with the third batch on day two? One other side note is this is a beer which I do use the yeast to repitch. I am a fan of the brew one first and the next two the next day because I feel it is like I am propagating yeast for a 60bbl batch. All thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by schmogger View Post
    I currently brew on a 30bbl system and I normally have to brew a triple batch (90bbls) each week. I usually do a single batch on day one and day two I brew the next two batches. My question is can anyone tell me if there are any negative aspects to doing a double on day one and topping up with the third batch on day two? One other side note is this is a beer which I do use the yeast to repitch. I am a fan of the brew one first and the next two the next day because I feel it is like I am propagating yeast for a 60bbl batch. All thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.
    Anyone have some thoughts?

Comment

I would say either way would work if you needed to change things up for some reason. As long as you are pitching for the full batch you should be fine. We used to brew 4 batches to one fermentor, double batching back to back days. Oxygen on the first day only and pitch for the full amount.

Comment

OP: I have done both, 2/1 and 1/2 and not had any issues to speak of. Just make sure you aren't aerating after ferment starts

I have a question on a somewhat related note. I will also be triple batching into a couple tanks, double batches I have no issues doing on back to back days. What about triple? In the event that I cannot brew 2/1 or 1/2 on back to back days, what about a 3 day spread? Any issues to be aware of? I have only had to do that on one other occasion (many moons ago, mid 90s) the beer was fine, but if I am doing it on a fairly regular basis I would like to know if I am missing anything...

Comment

There is a thread on that related note somewhere on here that I have read before. I do know that over a 3 day period it is pushing it a bit. You run the risk of really messing with the yeast metabolism adding more fresh wort that far into fermentation. If there is no alternative, the way I might approach that is by trying to knockout the first batch later in the day and the second and third as early as possible. In other words limit the time between batches as much as possible. It's by no means ideal, but workable.

Here is the thread I believe I was referring to http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...e-%29-batching
          Last edited by soia1138; 10-30-2014, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Comment

I brew 2 the first day 1 the next into 30bbl tanks w great results. Pitch for full batch on day one, oxygenate on day one only.

Comment

I see so much talk about not aerating on the second day brew. I did that for many many years with no issues. I just got talked back into running a brewery after being out of it for about 5 years. I have tried both ways with no noticeable difference in the beer flavor. I talked with a friend of mine that runs a large production and his opinion is much like mine. So perhaps there is a very small issue with it but I for one have not had a problem.

Admittedly I have no formal classroom training just 14 years of brewery experience so perhaps it is noticeable in some kind of lab test?

Cheers
                Mike Eme
                Brewmaster

Comment

I think the common idea behind not oxygenating on day two is that by the time you're knocking out the second days batch into the tank, your yeast should be finished with its growth phase (aerobic, requiring oxygen) and fully engaged in active fermentation (anaerobic, no oxygen required). Adding oxygen could cause the yeast to backtrack and stop fermentation to re-enter growth. If you pitch the correct amount on day one you shouldn't need a second growth phase.

Comment

I inline aerate on my second day batch with no problems.

Comment

It would seem to me that the aerating on the second day would all be a little situational. Depending on how far apart in time the knockouts are and the lag time for fermentation. In most cases my thinking is that it's probably of no added benefit. I've come in for the second brew and the first half of the batch is already rocking so why add more O2 needlessly.

Comment

I see a lot of comments about "pitching for the full amount" and I met Neva Parker a couple years ago and she recommended this as well. However, Chris White, in the "Yeast" book says that at the 24 hour mark during low krausen the yeast have effectively doubled and the second and even third batch can be run over. So, say if you are starting with a 10 bbl batch and tripel batching you only need a 10bbl pitch of yeast.

This is the method I use on my lagers and I get great attenuation (slightly higher, actually) and little to no ester development (I don't detect any, they are very cleam.)

Comment

Originally posted by KTY View Post
                          I see a lot of comments about "pitching for the full amount" and I met Neva Parker a couple years ago and she recommended this as well. However, Chris White, in the "Yeast" book says that at the 24 hour mark during low krausen the yeast have effectively doubled and the second and even third batch can be run over. So, say if you are starting with a 10 bbl batch and tripel batching you only need a 10bbl pitch of yeast.

This is the method I use on my lagers and I get great attenuation (slightly higher, actually) and little to no ester development (I don't detect any, they are very cleam.)
                          Anybody, including KTY, have anything to say/add on this approach?
                          We just ordered a FV that will allow us to triple batch some of our disto beers. I currently have one tank that allows us to double batch, and in the past have always just pitched enough yeast for the single batch Day 1 and then Day 2 have run the second batch into the now early-fermentation beer from Day 1 without problems.
                          Would love to hear some info on only pitching enough on Day 1 for a single batch and then rolling a double batch Day 2 into the triple size FV after the yeast have had the time to grow.

Comment

Working...
                          X