Convert Dairy to Brew Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Dairy to Brew Kettle

Hi, I have a 7bbl round dairy tank with flat bottom that is jacketed. What is my best option to convert this and be able to heat to a boil? Any references on how to do this conversion/setup would be kindly appreciated

Direct Fire, Steam, ???

Hi

Our brewhouse uses two 9 HL dairy tanks for mash tun and boiler. We use 9 + 9 + 11 kW direct heating, works fine.
    When installing, we drilled holes and fittings for the electric elements so we can screw them off and clean after use
    Tempel Brygghus

All sour Swedish brewery

Comment

Hi Pyrmir

How much current does each of your elements use and how long do you take to reach boil?

Originally posted by Pyrmir View Post
      Hi

Our brewhouse uses two 9 HL dairy tanks for mash tun and boiler. We use 9 + 9 + 11 kW direct heating, works fine.
      When installing, we drilled holes and fittings for the electric elements so we can screw them off and clean after use

Comment

The internets say it takes 4184 watts to heat 1 liter by 1C every second, assuming no heat loss through the kettle walls (a flawed assumption, but…)

Using this, it would raise 6.93 liters per second with 29kw, or 129.9 seconds to raise the whole 9 HL by 1C. To raise it 25C (167F to 212F) would take 54 minutes. Is my math right? That’s not bad if you can start early in the runoff once the elements are submerged.

Comment

Hi

Unfortunately, we can only use 2 elements at the same time because potato electric wiring in the building.
          The electricity used is about 7,4 kW for each of the small elements = 14,8 effective kWs.

That gives us 14 C/h when heating according to scotts calculations. I usually start the water heating the night before brewing with one element,
          that gives ~7 C/h = 10 hours warming time.

It gives long brew days, but we manage. The upside: very low investment cost.
          Tempel Brygghus

All sour Swedish brewery

Comment

Working...
          X