Using glycol in Boiler? Can I do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using glycol in Boiler? Can I do this

Is it feasible to use glycol in my boiler to keep it from freezing when not brewing during winter? If not what can I use? Thank you for your help
    Doug A Moller
    Brewmaster
    The Moller Brew House
    (405)226-3111

We use a timer to turn the boiler on for about 15 minutes every four hours when the boiler is idle and the temps in the boiler room well below freezing. Our condensate return pump is wrapped in heat tape with a thermostat.

Using glycol would be a RPITA, as you'd have to drain it down before every use, then refill it afterwards. Depends on the size of your boiler and frequency of use, I guess.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Thankyou for your response butThat is impossible with my boiler

My boiler burns firewood so I cant do that so does anybody else have any other ideas
      Doug A Moller
      Brewmaster
      The Moller Brew House
      (405)226-3111

Comment

Well, yeah, I can see how it would be difficult to put a wood-fired boiler on a timer.

If your firebox is cool and clean when you shut the boiler down, could you place a small electric space heater in the box? I run a half-dozen or so around the brewery when it gets really cold (6F last night, we can see -20 at times), and it doesn't take much to keep stuff from freezing. I just did a walk-around to check things out, using an IR thermometer, and the lowest temp (38F) was at the keg washer which is in an unheated room with one small space heater pointed directly at the keg washer.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Polypropylene Glycol breaks down in the presence of heat and becomes lactic acid. I don't think you want to acidify your boiler water.
          Regards,
          Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company
          http://kererubrewing.co.nz

Comment

Working...
          X