Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24kw for 5bbl BK?/Control options?

Hello,

Been looking into the option of a 5bbl electric brew kettle. Trying to avoid using those big 15kw 3 phase elements and use multiple lower kw elements instead. Do you think having 4 6000kw single phase elements, for a total of 24kw, would be enough for a 5bbl brew kettle?

Also, really not looking for a super fancy digital control panel with pump controls etc. What do recommend for just a simple "on/off" control that is UL listed for each element?

Thanks!

If the kW is the same, the heat produced will be the same. A 3p element is actually an array of three single-phase elements. 3p makes the wiring simpler and cheaper, if you have 3p available.

If you go with the home water-heater style elements, be sure to buy either "low density" or "ultra-low density"(best) elements. This means that they produce less heat/unit of surface area, which will keep the elements cleaner, increasing their lifespan, and help prevent scorching/carmelization in your kettle.

Here's an example of a three-phase array made from water-heater elements, installed in our HL system: http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...ry-tank-to-HLT It's the third post down.

Jonhson Controls A419 thermostats are fine for controlling your elements, but you will need contactors to handle the amperage of the elements--another place where 3p wiring simplifies things (1 contactor runs three elements). You can use multiple A419s to "stage" your elements for finer heat control. Of course, you could also use an electronic PLC control panel, but the results will be the same.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

We run a 5bbl system we built that uses 5 standard hot water heater elements. You can easily find 5500 low watt density elements at pretty much any hardware store or online. We actually found some 6000 watt elements we have been using for awhile. We found these nice little units https://www.brewershardware.com/TC15F10NPSCOV.html which allow you to triclamp the elements into your tank. We take the elements out and soak them in PBW overnight after a batch which easily takes off any cooked on crap.

We built a fairly crazy unit to run them all with PID controllers, but you could probably find something over the shelf simpler. You will need to make sure you have enough power (amps, space in your breaker panel) Each element runs on a 30 amp 220v circuit, we use GFI breakers for safety.

The elements will last a fair amount of time, but eventually will get pretty banged up. However this method leaves you with a less then $20 part to replace every so often. I just keep spares on hand.

Comment

I think electric BK is a bad idea. I have one and I am dealing with it every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk View Post
          I think electric BK is a bad idea. I have one and I am dealing with it every day.
          I think electric is a viable solution up to a certain point. 5Bbl is probably the max I would do but I haven't done any calculations to determine when switching to steam becomes more efficient.

What is it you are "dealing with" that is problematic. I use electric in a nano scale pilot system and it's been great. More efficient and easier to control than direct fire and easier to implement than steam.

To the OP, if you aren't into the electrical work, contact a certified electrician and work through building a simple control panel box with all manual switches. I would recommend having some level of variable output on some of your elements as you may not always need 100% power but in your case you'll have multiple elements and can simply switch off a couple to reduce the output.

Comment

When using electric element in home brewing or pilot system, that is file. Once you start using the BK 3+ time a week you might not have enough time to clean it properly.

Then there is how we pay for electricity.
            There is a usage charge and there is a demand charge. Over all once you get over 20kW it become to be quite expensive heating source.

Comment

Working...
            X