CO2 losses while bottling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 losses while bottling

Does anyone know what are the average CO2 losses during bottling?

I usually bottle force carbonated beer at 36F, I shoot for 2,4 Volumes, but during the time the bottle gets depressurized by the merlin and capped (aprox 10 secs) there is a loss of carbonation. Is there a way to estimate this loss of carbonation so i can compensate in the BBT previous to bottling?

Cheers!

We typically see a loss of 0.1 - 0.2 volumes depending on how even the fill levels are and if we're capping on foam.

We have a 2013 Meheen and we typically carb to 2.7 vols for a finished bottle content of 2.5-2.6 vols.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavanzo View Post
      Does anyone know what are the average CO2 losses during bottling?

I usually bottle force carbonated beer at 36F, I shoot for 2,4 Volumes, but during the time the bottle gets depressurized by the merlin and capped (aprox 10 secs) there is a loss of carbonation. Is there a way to estimate this loss of carbonation so i can compensate in the BBT previous to bottling?

Cheers!
      Make me smart (if at all possible). Is this 2.4 a target for beer in the tank or in the bottle? If its a bottled product target you seem to be asking what should you target for beer in the tank. If that's the case you already have the ability to test and compare tank vs. bottle CO2. So why ask?

And if its a tank CO2 target, the same thing holds true. How can you know there is a drop if you haven't tested for it?

I am guessing that you only have the ability to test in either the tank or in the bottle but not both? Is that true? If it is true why don't you invest in an additional testing device so you can test CO2 in the tank and also in the package?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Doyle View Post
        Make me smart (if at all possible). Is this 2.4 a target for beer in the tank or in the bottle? If its a bottled product target you seem to be asking what should you target for beer in the tank. If that's the case you already have the ability to test and compare tank vs. bottle CO2. So why ask?

And if its a tank CO2 target, the same thing holds true. How can you know there is a drop if you haven't tested for it?

I am guessing that you only have the ability to test in either the tank or in the bottle but not both? Is that true? If it is true why don't you invest in an additional testing device so you can test CO2 in the tank and also in the package?
        We can measure in the BBT, we are planning to get a Zahm piercing device to measure carb levels in the bottle, but the brewery is in Colombia and new zahm devices cost twice as much as they do in the US, and there is a nonexistent used parts market down here.
        It is not easy brewing craft beer here and we are just starting. So we have to rely on the help of our colleagues (you guys) while we get the piercing device.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavanzo View Post
          We can measure in the BBT, we are planning to get a Zahm piercing device to measure carb levels in the bottle, but the brewery is in Colombia and new zahm devices cost twice as much as they do in the US, and there is a nonexistent used parts market down here.
          It is not easy brewing craft beer here and we are just starting. So we have to rely on the help of our colleagues (you guys) while we get the piercing device.
          Thanks for making me smart. Perhaps someone with extras they'll never use will send you a Christmas present. You can check package CO2 with a piercing devise that has only a gage. After getting the pressure reading you can get the temp with a decent thermometer. You should also check for package air. For that you'll need a modified piercing device that's connected to a burette and a caustic bottle. Good luck in your business.

Comment

Working...
          X