No announcement yet.

Full price beer for head brewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owner and brewer here. All my employees are treated equal and well. Under fills are for taking and are NOT part of compensation. If You are in the other side of the bar and you are a customer.

My responsibility is NOT to run out of money and give you a paycheck on time. Since I am also deeply involve in the company I am making a lot of decisions on daily bases.

Or would you prefer to work for brewery that you can take some free beer but miss a paycheck or two?

Or would you prefer to work for the place that dishwasher is treated like a dirt, server is not better, bartender is tolerated and brewer is a king? How it that for moral?

Comment

What a dispiriting conversation. Of course brewers should be able to have a couple free beers now and then. And especially in a brewpub environment where you want to encourage your brewer to hang out as much as possible and talk to the patrons. You can't put a price on that kind of marketing (but if you could it would be more than a couple of free beers).
      Last edited by irishsnake; 01-06-2015, 06:14 PM.
      John Gillooly
      Brewmaster
      Drake's Brewing Co.

Comment

If giving employees shift beers is breaking the bank, you might want to reexamine your business plan.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyrb1 View Post
          If giving employees shift beers is breaking the bank, you might want to reexamine your business plan.
          12% of sales? Yes rearranging a business plan is not to loose it. Thank you agreeing.

Comment

If you're referring to the 12% I mentioned earlier, that is 12% of tap room pints poured. If you add in growlers it was 6.7%. We are a production brewery. Less than 6% of our total beer goes through the tap room. so 6.7% of 6% is .4% of the beer produced is comped to employees. Still seems like a lot now that I think about it. But I am happy to do it because I know it means a lot to the brewery staff and the good people that run the tap room.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by redlodge.sam View Post
              If you're referring to the 12% I mentioned earlier, that is 12% of tap room pints poured. If you add in growlers it was 6.7%. We are a production brewery. Less than 6% of our total beer goes through the tap room. so 6.7% of 6% is .4% of the beer produced is comped to employees. Still seems like a lot now that I think about it. But I am happy to do it because I know it means a lot to the brewery staff and the good people that run the tap room.

Sam
              Since these are taproom sales with higher margin .4% of volumes could equal 4% of total sales. I am not trying to tell you what to do and it is possible that those sales would never materialized.

Comment

We are a small brewery with no food or distribution, just tap room sales. We give all our bartenders 50% off drinks (on or off shifts) and 50% off of merchandise which puts most of that below cost. The only thing we don't discount is bottles and kegs. We also allow our bartenders to drink some beer during the shift so they are able to try the new beers that come out weekly. If we see a person taking advantage to it we let them know. If we ever find one drunk while working they will be let go.

Bottom line, every business is different and what is important to every employee at a brewery is different. You'll never make everyone happy.

Comment

These people are obviously not beer-people and they probably make money than you, making it easier for them to afford drinking in the bar.

Let them know that you would like a set amount of free beer or a discount and that you consider it a part of your salary package. If they still deny you that, be a good sport about it, but start looking for another job, just as you would if you were denied a salary rise or a dental plan or whatever.

But, don't whine about it or take it personally, like these guys :-)
                  The strike in Denmark followed the company's April 1 decision to introduce new rules for employees on beer drinking at work, said a spokesman.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSA View Post
                    Let them know that you would like a set amount of free beer or a discount and that you consider it a part of your salary package.
                    I wouldn't do that unless you're happy being immediately unemployed. If it were actually part of your salary, you'd have it. Obviously, you don't, so it wasn't part of the bargain when you were hired. If you want to renegotiate your salary at this point, don't be surprised when you're no longer their employee.

Comment

I am so surprised why this issue is coming back. people who have a job are whining and demanding that they want something for free because they have a job.

Well may be you should open your own brewery.

Comment

I wonder how much this seeming disconnect has to do with local circumstances, reflecting very different labor markets.

If that brewery is the only game in town, yeah I'd be cautious asking for 'too much.' Brewery job like that might be rare and precious. Grumble on little beer monkey, grumble on.

But last I checked there was something over 100 breweries in a 2 hour radius of Seattle (myself included). Someone is always hiring. "They fired me because I said we should get a shift pint" reflects worse on the fire-or than the fire-ee. Rehired. Quickly. By a competing brewery with a reasonable shift pint policy. And a rep as misers for the other brewery to boot.

It's like when a restaurant gets a rep for playing shenanigans with the tip pool. Eventually they find it hard to attract and hold good staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Russell Everett
                        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                        Bainbridge Island Brewing
                        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
                          If that brewery is the only game in town, yeah I'd be cautious asking for 'too much.' Brewery job like that might be rare and precious. Grumble on little beer monkey, grumble on.
                          It's not really clear where the OP is from. I'm only aware of Carbondale CO and Carbondale IL, both of which are small towns. Small enough, and the OP has given enough identifiable info, I'd be worried my boss would see me grumbling on the internet and figure out it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by nateo View Post
                            It's not really clear where the OP is from. I'm only aware of Carbondale CO and Carbondale IL, both of which are small towns. Small enough, and the OP has given enough identifiable info, I'd be worried my boss would see me grumbling on the internet and figure out it's me.
                            What's worse is the fact that the info is in the OP's profile. Not the brightest idea. This was my take on the post from the start. Not the time or place to make this sort of complaint and certainly not the way to go about things.

Comment

I'm in the process of settings things up here, a rural area where the next brewery is located at least an hour away. You cannot be serving alcohol and consuming it at the same time here legally, and as the 1st place in my area, I expected to be watched like a hawk by the local authorities. I plan to have tasting room people be compensated above the current minimum wage (well above what any "server" makes for sure) and be able to take a growler home (still deciding if 32 or 64oz is best, probably 32) home with them each day they're here. Same with volunteers, who I'm happy to provide them with a shirt identifying them as a volunteer even though they make no hourly. Tips are all theirs... I'll be right there beside them, working the tap room, but I own the company. The tips should be for them. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of sticking my hand in that till.

This is where I feel things are fair, people know what they're getting into up-front, and everybody is treated as though they are being appreciated.
                              Kevin Shertz
                              Chester River Brewing Company
                              Chestertown, MD

Comment

Originally posted by ChesterBrew View Post
                                Tips are all theirs... I'll be right there beside them, working the tap room, but I own the company. The tips should be for them. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of sticking my hand in that till.
                                I don't know if you saw it, but there was a lengthy thread about that maybe a year or so ago. The short answer is owners in tip pools is super illegal and I wouldn't want to mess with the DOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X