In consideration of "safe" business practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In consideration of "safe" business practice

In researching what it takes to open and run a small brew operation I am constantly wondering who cares about what. For example; does TTB care about the cleanliness of floors?(I dont think so). Does City zoning care if I'm behind on my taxes? these are both exaggerations of examples, but in an effort of mental preparation it would help to know who stops what for what reason. Perhaps a vague question but can anyone provide input?

The easy answer: clean your floors and pay your taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by nateo View Post
      The easy answer: clean your floors and pay your taxes.
      yes...I know, I figured I'd get that response. But I do enjoy the difficult answers because I like to understand what I'm doing rather than going blind and careless because I'm "told to". Ill keep looking ...thanks for the reply though.

Comment

Here's my advice for running a business: always follow best practice. It's not just "blindly following." Don't try to reinvent the wheel, don't get "creative" with your accounting or SOP. I've seen lots of businesses crash and burn that way. There's no shortcut to success, and it's incredibly unlikely you're more clever than all the others combined who came before you and established what "best practice" is in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by nateo View Post
          Here's my advice for running a business: always follow best practice. It's not just "blindly following." Don't try to reinvent the wheel, don't get "creative" with your accounting or SOP. I've seen lots of businesses crash and burn that way. There's no shortcut to success, and it's incredibly unlikely you're more clever than all the others combined who came before you and established what "best practice" is in the first place.
          not what I'm asking.
          and yes that is unlikely, but possible. I know because I have been more clever than 1000s before in some circumstances. unfortunately it does not warrant success. regardless I need to figure how to word the question better. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Cool good luck

Comment

Originally posted by kaptn06 View Post
              In researching what it takes to open and run a small brew operation I am constantly wondering who cares about what. For example; does TTB care about the cleanliness of floors?(I dont think so). Does City zoning care if I'm behind on my taxes? these are both exaggerations of examples, but in an effort of mental preparation it would help to know who stops what for what reason. Perhaps a vague question but can anyone provide input?
              Ok, I'll bite:
              If you don't pay your excise taxes, expect to be shut down after a hostile visit from the TTB and your states Department of Revenue (both will probably be packin'!) because you must always pay your taxes!
              If you don't pay your property tax, expect to be shut down because the sheriff just seized your brewery (this happened to a brewery I used to brew for in Colorado!).
              If you don't clean your floors, expect to be shut down by your county's health inspector (not to mention your beer will probably be infected so you won't have any customers) because YUCK!
              If you don't pay your bills, expect to be shut down because your suppliers won't supply you.
              If you don't take care of your employees, expect to be shut down because there is no one to work for you (word DOES get around!).
              If you don't maintain/replace your equipment, expect to be shut down because you can't make your product.
              If you don't take care of yourself, expect to be shut down because this is your baby and everyone involved is looking to YOU to steer the ship!
              If you don't check IDs in the tasting room, expect to be shut down because you are an idiot!

Bottom line: this industry in this country has narrow rules and margins you MUST follow to stay in business. Stray from these and, eventually, you will go out of business. Keep in mind that may also include fines and/or jail time to be served by YOU!
              Hope this helps.

Prost!
              Dave
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

This question reads like a "what can I get away with" rather than a "what can I do to separate myself". I am not a business owner, so you're welcome to toss my opinion in the garbage if you like, but I have worked for both the "what can I get away with" business owner, and the "how can I separate myself". Success seems to follow one approach and not so much the other. So I highly recommend you stop thinking about ways to cut corners and start thinking of ways to make yourself distinct. Maybe I misread the post, but getting into this business with the idea that you don't have to care about particular variables sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure. Best of luck, nonetheless.

Comment

Mmmm I read it more as "Who cares about what?" rather than "how much do they really care?" The first is just useful business info. The second is much more nuanced.
                  Russell Everett
                  Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                  Bainbridge Island Brewing
                  Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

TTB cares about taxes, recipes (outside normal practices), and labels

State cares about taxes, and probably labels (depending on where you live)

County/City cares about zoning and fire codes, running without making problems for others, possibly taxes (depending on where you live) fire codes, water usage and waste, special events

Health Department - cleanliness of your facility if open to public, toilets, sinks, equipment, hand washing, etc...

FDA - Facility and possibly labeling if your beer is in certain establishments (chains)

I'm sure I missed a bunch as I am not sure what you are completely looking for. This is a start.

Comment

A lot of the answers to these types of questions are "it depends" and that generally means it depends on the nature of the jurisdictions exercising authority over you.

Cities normally are going to be most concerned with health and safety issues but they will also have a role in any local taxes you pay and any local permits you are required to carry. That's where it can get sticky. A local permit may be contingent upon having the right state and federal permits and proof that you at least recognize your tax obligations to both although the city has no jurisdiction over state and federal permits. I have a client in Colorado who is fighting this exact issue because we have some disagreement with the local authorities over how the entity needs to be licensed before the city will give a permit. We'll likely have to sue the city for an order to issue the local permit to engage in alcohol sales.
                      DFW Employment Lawyer
                      http://kielichlawfirm.com

Comment

Working...
                      X