Sparge Acidification- Double batch size HLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparge Acidification- Double batch size HLT

I'm getting ready to set up a new brewery and haven't had to deal with this issue in past breweries where I've worked, so I'm at a bit of a loss on the logistics of sparge acidification with oversized liquor tanks.

I have a good handle on mash chemistry and will be adding salts/acid as directly to the mash- easy enough. What I can't seem to figure out is how to deal with my sparge water (room temp pH of 8.1- obviously too high for sparging). I'm installing a 70bbl HLT for a 30bbl brewhouse- adding acid directly to the tank will have me chasing my alkalinity all over the place for each batch since the HLT will rarely empty/refill completely. Anybody else dealt with a similar situation?

The way I see it my options are measuring total alkalinity of the HLT before every mash and adjust the mash pH accordingly- seems to have the real potential for inconsistency. Or I could simply monitor final runnings pH and stop lautering when it rises too high and top up the kettle with liquor preboil and adjust kettle pH as necessary- this option obviously has brewhouse efficiency concerns.

Other options or issues I'm not thinking of? Sure, I'd love an automated in-line acid dosing system for the sparge, but the bank account doesn't like that idea as much.

Any insight is much appreciated! Cheers!
    Jonathan Newman
    The Virginia Beer Company
    Williamsburg, VA

That's an excellent solution. Thanks!
    Jonathan Newman
    The Virginia Beer Company
    Williamsburg, VA

Comment

If your HLT inlet line doesn't have a flow totalizer on it, get one. They are cheap and accurate. With the information on each refilling volume, you should be able to find the acid volume you need to add per gallon of new water to reach either your target alkalinity or pH. Just add the calculated acid volume.
      We've just been eye-balling our added volume w/ a sight glass and making additions accordingly, but I really like this idea!

Comment

Working...
      X