2 4 or 6 roller mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 4 or 6 roller mill?

In the design phase of a 30 bbl brewery with 60 bbl tanks. What are the advantages/disadvantages of different numbers of rollers in a mill?

bump. Bueler...

Comment

In a nutshell - the more rollers you have, the more control over the consistency of the grind, and therefore potentially, the better the extract.

Downsides - increase number of rollers = increased complexity, increased cost. This needs to be balanced against the types of malt and adjunct if any you are using, and the reduction in raw material usage to achive the same amount of extract.

If you only have a mash tun type setup, i.e. separate mash mixer and no decent raking mechanism in a lauter tun (or mash filter) then a 6 roll is wasted in my opinion. A four roll will be perfectly adequate. If you have a lauter with proper rakes and control systems, then a 6 roll will probably be worth it. I know lots of people rave about two roll mills, but you don't have much control over them compared to multi roll mills with intermediate sieves. And a mash filter really benefits from a hammer mill.

Some people make 6 roll mills, effectively using one roll to run against 2 other rollers - don't discount one of these either in stead of a six roll.
      dick

Comment

Thank You!

Thanks Dick

Comment

Forgot to say that to set any of these things up, you are best off getting a shaker system to check what the proportions of husk, coarse grits, fine grits and flour are. Not being based in the states, the only simple and relatively cheap ones I know of are from Stephenson Reeves in Edinburgh. Having said that, I then got a local cabinet maker to make up a couple more sieve boxes and fitted some new mesh so they agreed more closely with the ASBC sieve sets. I personally don't think the EBC ones give adequate distinction between the different types of grits, flour etc. Although there are recommended sieve propotrions for different wort extraction systems, you still have to fine tune according to what gives you best wort runoff time / wort extraction
          dick

Comment

Working...
          X