Brewing Bigger...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing Bigger...

I'm in the process of moving from a 10-gallon garage setup to building my own 320 sqft (16' x 20') brewhouse in the back yard, complete with brew area (1 bbl electric), walk-in cooler (thanks to coolbot), bar/serving area, and restroom. However, I'm having a problem deciding on the layout. Based on how my property is setup I will have to have the brewhouse configured in such a way that the 20' walls will be the front and back, with the entrance being on the far right like so...

Any ideas out there? Thanx.

Is this going to be a commercial brewery?

Comment

Yes, I will be producing beer for sale out of this building. I will be starting with just bottling for now. The bar/serving area will just be used for family and friends. I'll be moving to a commercial space later this year, which will consist of a brewery and pub, and will be taking this system with me for use as a pilot system.

Comment

I would be checking with zoning prior to putting to much into this. I am not too sure that the TTB will allow this to fly let alone your State Liquor Authority as you own a residential zoned parcel vs a commercial class.

good luck with this, I'm curious to hear how you make out.

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
          I would be checking with zoning prior to putting to much into this. I am not too sure that the TTB will allow this to fly let alone your State Liquor Authority as you own a residential zoned parcel vs a commercial class.

good luck with this, I'm curious to hear how you make out.
          as far as I recall, TTB specifically ruled out dual zoning a couple of years back, explicitly to rule out running a brewery from your garage.

Comment

Not only garage, wouldn't it include any residential parcel? I am not interested in doing it myself, just curious as to how they would make out.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the current ruling, for breweries at least, revolves around a couple things:

* Detached from a domicile
              * Commercial zoning OR un-zoned (out in the country) OR a variance from local zoning authority affirming permission to run brewery in that space

Comment

Yes, I've verified with both OLCC and TTB that it would be allowed as long as the local zoning authority (City) will allow for it. I have a meeting scheduled with the planning division next week. The local code states there can be exceptions based on certain criteria. If all goes as expected, I will have presented the necessary criteria at the meeting and will be given the go-ahead. Once that's complete, I'll start building. Thanx.

Comment

Please don't take this as an attempt to burst your bubble but I have been there at that size.....

You are trying to put too much into that space. Your bathrooms need to be a certain size. Since you are serving public, you need sinks and possibly a mop basin. (Depending on local health department) Your taxed beer will need separation from your serving area. Just the storage of cases of empty bottles can be somewhat overwhelming. Where will you crush your grains? Where will grains be stored? Will your neighbors allow customer traffic? Many variances restrict customer flow to one customer per hour during certain hours in residential areas.
                  What about cold storage for hops and yeast? How and where do you sanitize bottles?

These are just questions to ask yourself..... Been there.... Good luck

Comment

One additional comment... You said the bar area will be used for family and friends. I would suggest not including it in your plan and using outdoor patios furniture for those visits. You could also skip the bathroom and save some space. Design it as distribution only. It will be much easier to plan.

Comment

I am planning on doing somethng similar....

I have the same idea as you. Take my detached garage and make it a brewery. Just make sure you leave enough room for some sort of cleaning area( three compartment sink would be ideal). Also a on demand hot water heater would almost be mandatory.
                      I figure I would rather put the improvements into a piece of property that I own rather than something I am leasing. If I can't get the zoning clearance....well than I have a pretty cool "underground" brewery for family and friends.

Comment

Working...
                      X