What does everybody use for garden hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does everybody use for garden hoses

I have been using a self retracting hose like you see on tv and really like it. But the other day I dropped the end of a transfer hose on it. It cut the inner core in half , I'm going to take it back and see if I can get it warranted but wonder if there is something that might be stronger.

Thanks
    Kinkaider brewing co
    Broken bow ne.
    Last edited by Speed; 02-22-2015, 07:48 AM.

I have used Goodyear Sani-wash washdown hoses for many years in many breweries.

It is a very sturdy hose that can take being under pressure with hot water all day, everyday.

I purchased them from Five Star. They can make the hose any length and add whatever connectors you like.

I have all three of mine at my current brewery set up with Strahman S-70 series nozzles.

Comment

Spend the money on a good, industrial, wash down hose. Grainger.com and Goodyearwaterhose.com both have some really good one. You'll keep them for years and years!

Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Yeah, after the end popped off our "Industrial Hot Water" hose we finally got a decent high temp, food grade, pressure rated washdown hose. It was like $200 but that beats a face full of 180 degree water.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

I think our old Unisource wash-down hoses cost around $10/ft, but they last for many, many years. Garden hoses are not meant for hot water, especially at the temperatures we use in the brewery. Nothing to make your day like a facefull of 190* water when a cheap hose ruptures.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't clear about using this for hot water. I just want to hook it up to well water. But when I need a hot water hose I will keep these in mind.

Kinkaider brewing co
            Broken bow ne

Comment

Garden Hose

I am surprised no one mentioned the off flavors you get from even the most expensive garden hose. Run a pint jar full of water from your garden hose, now smell it. That plastic or rubber smell is affecting the smell and flavor of your beer. You can not boil it out. I was taught the first thing in the morning before you brew is to taste and smell your brew water. If it is off the brew is off until the water is corrected. Even using it to rinse or wash out kettles or anything else that the beer or wort touches will affect the smell and flavor. Get a good food grade hose and connectors. It really will make a difference. Happy Brewing

Comment

Goodyear Blue Fortress 300. Got ours from Foster Hose.

Comment

never had off flavor or aroma with this

Check out http://www.mcmaster.com/#6285T31

Heat resistant to 200F and pretty damn durable. We have 4 of these and the oldest one is about 2 years old. We check them for breakdown or excessive wear every 3 months.

Every once in a while the ends split from the fittings poking through, so we just cut off the end and put in new barbed garden hose fittings.

We also have brass garden hose QD's from McMaster and a shutoff at the end before the QD.

Also, I have been searching for a full bore durable shutoff for years and finally found one that doesn't fall apart. http://www.gemplers.com/product/G430...tering-Handles

Thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewer2 View Post
                    I am surprised no one mentioned the off flavors you get from even the most expensive garden hose. Run a pint jar full of water from your garden hose, now smell it. That plastic or rubber smell is affecting the smell and flavor of your beer. You can not boil it out. I was taught the first thing in the morning before you brew is to taste and smell your brew water. If it is off the brew is off until the water is corrected. Even using it to rinse or wash out kettles or anything else that the beer or wort touches will affect the smell and flavor. Get a good food grade hose and connectors. It really will make a difference. Happy Brewing
                    I would never use water from a garden hose for brewing but for cleaning have never had an issue with the very, very minimal amount of water leftover affecting a beer in a future batch. Better safe than sorry I guess but may be overkill

Comment

I use this. Can't remember prices but seems like it was somewhere around $1.50 a foot three years ago. Cold water use only of course..

NSF-51 Food Grade Hose, Odorless & Tasteless Beverage Hose, FDA, USDA, Buy Factory Direct And Save, Clear And Colored Hoses.
                      Scott LaFollette
                      Fifty West Brewing Company
                      Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

I was in the industrial hose business in my 'other life'. I see many hoses in brew houses that are just misapplied all to often. With the chemicals, temperatures and liquids found in the brew house, it is just not worth taking those chances. Find a solid local industrial hose distributor for Goodyear, Parker, Kuriyama, Eaton-Synflex hoses. They can handle all of your hose needs from the brew house to the tap. Usually have a knowledgeable sales & engineering staff, and can recommend the appropriate hose for each location and function. Pricing is comparable with what you get out of a catalog or on-line, they are local, and often in stock.

Comment

Working...
                        X