Wy1217

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wy1217

Anyone use this Wyeast PC strain? I've been playing with different strains in the past year to hopefully settle on a house strain. I like versatile, highly flocculant strains as we don't filter.

Zero experience with that strain specifically, but I've been through the following strains, and mainly focusing on looking for dry soft, juicy hoppy beers.

Wyeast 1318
    Wyeast 1968
    Conan
    Chico

And finally we've settled on wlp007. 007 was juicy like Conan and 1318 but dry like Chico, and floccs like 1968. It also harvest incredibly well and seems to be be really consistent about % solids of yeast in the slurry. What goals are you after with your house strain apart from flocc'ng out well?

Comment

Originally posted by woohokie View Post
      Zero experience with that strain specifically, but I've been through the following strains, and mainly focusing on looking for dry soft, juicy hoppy beers.

Wyeast 1318
      Wyeast 1968
      Conan
      Chico

And finally we've settled on wlp007. 007 was juicy like Conan and 1318 but dry like Chico, and floccs like 1968. It also harvest incredibly well and seems to be be really consistent about % solids of yeast in the slurry. What goals are you after with your house strain apart from flocc'ng out well?
      I suppose the biggest attribute I'm looking for is a yeast that leaves behind maximum hop aroma and flavor and/or transforms it into fruity flavors while being a strong attenuator, and very flocculant. Also looking for a strain that is very versatile as far as styles go.

What was your experience with Conan? Where did you get it and did you find that you got a lot of peach flavors out of it?
      Last edited by d_striker; 03-09-2015, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I would give wy 1218 a try. It is very nice, we have used it and connan is great a little tricky sometimes though.

Comment

Can you elaborate a little on both 1218 and Conan?

Comment

You can get Conan from BSI if you ask for it.

My favorite from BSI so far for making nice clean hoppy beers is BSI-1, never tried Conan though. I dont like the idea of making cloudy beer.

Comment

Sorry to be so late in getting back to you. London 3 is great for hoppy beers while keeping some body and not taking away all the malt. Great for more of the Vermont style IPAs/pale ales. We have used connan as well but it can be tricky to replicate the flavor pitch to pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by d_striker View Post
                I suppose the biggest attribute I'm looking for is a yeast that leaves behind maximum hop aroma and flavor and/or transforms it into fruity flavors while being a strong attenuator, and very flocculant. Also looking for a strain that is very versatile as far as styles go.

What was your experience with Conan? Where did you get it and did you find that you got a lot of peach flavors out of it?
                We got some nice and distinct peachy notes and also a distinct softness to the finish that I know isn't from my water adjustments as I didn't change them when I used Conan. It's a tough one to harvest and I get less slurry then say wlp007 but it just may be worth the hastle as it also seemed, and this could either be biotransformation of hop compounds by the yeast, or an ester combining with the hops in one of our beers, or straight up voodoo, but it also lends that orange cream candy, sweet-marmalade thing as well, which is quite nice for hoppy beer.

I'm still deciding and will likely run a few more brews with both wlp007 and Conan. We get ours from our local guys RVAYeastLabs. Highly recommend checking them out too.

Comment

007 is a beast of a strain, great attenuation, flocculation, clean but kinda fruity flavor, I liked it for all English and American ales. With proper pitching and oxygenation it had no problem getting to 12%abv with 80%aa.
                  The only reason I'm no longer using it is my new brewery is just down the street from the previous one and I felt the need to do something different.
                  Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

I think I'm going to give 007 a try after I'm done with our current strain.

What temp do you guys like it at for IPA?

Comment

I've been cooling in to 64f and setting the jackets to 67f on our 7bbl tanks. I hold it there till it hits 5P (which is usually within 2-3 days for most beers) or so and then let it free rise where it usually hits ~ 70-72f.

Comment

Originally posted by woohokie View Post
                        I've been cooling in to 64f and setting the jackets to 67f on our 7bbl tanks. I hold it there till it hits 5P (which is usually within 2-3 days for most beers) or so and then let it free rise where it usually hits ~ 70-72f.
                        That's funny. That's exactly what I do for most ales with house strain. Except I let it free rise to 69 and completely turn off glycol once at 5P.

Comment

Originally posted by drewseslu View Post
                          007 is a beast of a strain, great attenuation, flocculation, clean but kinda fruity flavor, I liked it for all English and American ales. With proper pitching and oxygenation it had no problem getting to 12%abv with 80%aa.
                          The only reason I'm no longer using it is my new brewery is just down the street from the previous one and I felt the need to do something different.

I've used WLP007 for two batches now. I typically do a couple of average gravity styles when I get a pitchable quantity. Did an ESB and a Wheat. Fermented both at 69F.

First impressions and notes so far:

-Ferments VERY fast. Both 12P batches down to 5P in about 28hours from pitching. Terminal gravity at 48hours.
                          -Flocs out and crops like nothing I've ever seen before. I thought 1272 cropped nice and thick but 007 almost almost looks dry, thick, and powdery when cropping.
                          -At 69F it leaves a very big malt presence. Still ferments down to 2.5P like other yeast strains have done for the same recipe. Just much more noticeable malt finish.

I'm not so sure I like how big of a malt presence 007 leaves behind. I'm wondering if a decrease in ferm temp might get rid of it. I haven't tried it in an IPA yet. I typically take two crops after Gen 2 so an IPA is going to be next. Looking forward to see how it performs.

Comment

Originally posted by d_striker View Post

I'm not so sure I like how big of a malt presence 007 leaves behind. I'm wondering if a decrease in ferm temp might get rid of it. I haven't tried it in an IPA yet. I typically take two crops after Gen 2 so an IPA is going to be next. Looking forward to see how it performs.
                            Reviving this old thread -- have you used it for an IPA? Results?
                            Dave Cowie
                            Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
                            Nevada City, CA

Comment

Working...
                            X