off flavor hypothesis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off flavor hypothesis

A little while back I got a super stuck mash while making an IPA (long story). After stirring the bejesus out of the mash to get the liquid out, we decided to boil it rather than dump it. We got great hot break, OK clarity and the wort tasted good, so we decided to attempt to salvage the batch by running it off into a small fermenter and pitching brett, knowing that brett loves chewing on starch. Midway through the 30 day fermentation, beer had a really nice aroma but a distinct plastic-y/band-aid like flavor in the finish. Now, after 30 days of fermentation and 7 days of cold crashing, the flavor is still there and I'm probably going to dump it.

I'm a cleaning and sanitation freak so I am pretty confident that's not the source of this off flavor. The only thing that was "off" in my process that day was the stuck mash and heavy grain stirring. My hypothesis is that perhaps the heavy duty stirring of the mash extracted some sort of tannin from the grain, which the yeast converted into this plastic-y/band-aid like phenol.

Does my hypothesis seem likely/reasonable? Any other hypotheses out there? I am going to suck it up and dump it but would love it if someone out with more chemistry knowledge than me can check my logic.
    Kevin Drake
    Alibi Ale Works
    North Lake Tahoe

Since you used Brett as your primary strain I would have actually expected it to be not as aromatic as you might think. Concerning the situation it may be that the fermentation was too warm, pitch rate was low, Brett strain was contaminated, low fermentables in the wort which would stress the yeast. The Brett. wouldn't actually be able to do anything with the starch, as it lacks the enzymes necessary to break down long chain polysaccharides. So, my $0.02 would be stressed out yeast caused the off flavors but who knows. Sorry it happened but kudos on trying to remedy the situation, I can say that I would have probably tried something similar.

Comment

Ken Jennings Redhook

My guess is all that mixing and stirring caused oxidation in the hot wort producing long chain unsaturated aldehydes and Trans-2-nonenal.... giving you the cardboardy taste. The Brett had nothing to do with it.

Comment

Which Brett did you pitch and what did you end up doing with the batch?

Comment

I pitched Brett Drei. I ended up dumping the batch. Not worth serving a truly "off" batch. Ken Jennings' hot side aeration hypothesis seems spot on. Thanks for the insight.

Kevin Drake
          Alibi Ale Works
          Kevin Drake
          Alibi Ale Works
          North Lake Tahoe

Comment

Working...
          X