Yeast Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Tracking

I was wondering how other breweries track their yeast. We currently use an Excel flow chart ("yeast tree") that shows the movement of yeast from batch to batch (ie. gen to gen) and has boxes with the necessary information on ferment, bios, ect. I find that it is pretty time consuming and not super useful so I am looking for alternatives. Unfortunately, we don't have the budget for any fancy software so I will have to make do with Excel or some other free software. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Paper and pen.

I just draw out a flow chart as I go. Not the fanciest but it establishes traceability.

Comment

We do the same thing you do: We give our yeast an ID# and then track everything in an Excel file. A pivot table can sort by yeast batch and you can sort of visualize the "tree". We've streamlined our data recording using macros, so it's easy to copy & paste from one Excel file to the next. I agree it's time consuming, but it's worth it to be able to look something up in a jiffy if there's ever an issue. I always thought there must be some sort of family tree software that could be adapted, but haven't found it.

Comment

i have a google docs file which incorporates all batches that tracks everything from weights for taxes and OG/FG.. one of the columns is dedicated to yeast type and generation and an ID number (if using more than one of the same strain at a time) .. that way i can go back to see the exact process from one type of yeast if there is ever an issue, or just to see what types it went into.. not very time consuming when you consider it tracks everything for the brewery that needs to be tracked anyways
        Kevin
        JoBoy's Brewpub

Comment

I follow a protocol similar to Todd.
          I write in the tank and brew log Y6-1-11.
          Y6 tells me this yeast started in June.
          1 tells me it is the first new yeast that month.
          11 tells me how many generations have been pitched.

It simple, trackable, and tells me what I need to know in a glance.
          Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by krenshaw View Post
            i have a google docs file which incorporates all batches that tracks everything from weights for taxes and OG/FG.. one of the columns is dedicated to yeast type and generation and an ID number (if using more than one of the same strain at a time) .. that way i can go back to see the exact process from one type of yeast if there is ever an issue, or just to see what types it went into.. not very time consuming when you consider it tracks everything for the brewery that needs to be tracked anyways
            Thanks for the input! Tell me a little more about how you use google docs? We have a bunch of different people editing excel files on a server, which is a total nightmare. I would love to move to a smarter program like google docs. Do you track everything in spreadsheet form or document form?

Comment

Would be really awesome if you would share a sample of your google doc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bankbrewer View Post
                Would be really awesome if you would share a sample of your google doc!
                Seconded! If you wouldn't mind, of course.

Comment

i saved this to an excel format.. don't know if i trust google to keep all of my docs secure inviting people in :-)

BrewingHistory

I just have a couple on there but you get the idea on how i save them and they add up.. has been working quite well and i just keep tabs for each quarter and its easy to go back and check things like temp/notes/OGs and such..
                  Kevin
                  JoBoy's Brewpub

Comment

Working...
                  X