nitro beer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nitro beer help

we are a small brewpub with 1 nitrogen tap.. we always have something on it but have never been able to dial in the carb for a proper pour. Can anybody let me know what the ideal procedure is for carbing up a beer for a stout tap and then dispensing? ours come out very foamy and even with the typical couple min wait after all has settled we have about half a glass of beer and have to keep topping it off, may take 4-5 min for one glass..

i have been carbing a bit lower than our normal beers (we don't have a meter to test) in our brite, then kegging like usual, then i belive our mix is set to 75% nitrogen and 25% c02.. looking at the gauge it is set to about 22psi (though that may depend on the length of run) .. any advice?
    Kevin
    JoBoy's Brewpub

The key with that method is to undercarb the beer (if you carb it at all). Most beer at the end of fermentation has about 1-1.5 volumes at room temp. So if you put on 5 psi head pressure before you crash the fermenter, you should have 1.5ish volumes of Co2 in solution. Then push with the beer gas through the stout faucet and it should act more like it should. Anything in the 2.0+ volumes through a stout tap is going to foam like crazy going through that sparkler disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by krenshaw View Post
      we are a small brewpub with 1 nitrogen tap.. we always have something on it but have never been able to dial in the carb for a proper pour. Can anybody let me know what the ideal procedure is for carbing up a beer for a stout tap and then dispensing? ours come out very foamy and even with the typical couple min wait after all has settled we have about half a glass of beer and have to keep topping it off, may take 4-5 min for one glass..

i have been carbing a bit lower than our normal beers (we don't have a meter to test) in our brite, then kegging like usual, then i belive our mix is set to 75% nitrogen and 25% c02.. looking at the gauge it is set to about 22psi (though that may depend on the length of run) .. any advice?
      Carb should be about 1.3 volumes (if you have no testing equipment, this tastes/feels to be a nearly imperceptible 'burn' of CO2 at cellar temps - 34-36oF - an immediately perceptible 'burn/carbonation sensation' at those temps does not bode well) before nitrogenation either during transfer to bright or during filtration. Highest pressure you can manage safely. PV=nRT. An essential equation.

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
      X