No announcement yet.

vanilla flavoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try using Vanilla Powder at all? A supplier of mine has some and I would love to try it out, but not really sure how to use it.
    Cheers!
    JP

Comment

yummo

I used 3bbls of smoked porter and around 100 vanilla beans (cut opened, scrapped, then cut up into pieces tossed into a grundy) it came out wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by yogibrewcat
        I used 3bbls of smoked porter and around 100 vanilla beans (cut opened, scrapped, then cut up into pieces tossed into a grundy) it came out wonderful!
        WOW.....Am I the only one that thinks 100 beans in 3 barrels is a lil on the extreme side?....or at the very least expensive side.

I know we use 3 beans in a half barrel and can usually refill the keg one more time with decent vanilla character.

Comment

Yeah, extreme. I used 1/2# of beans in 7 barrels.
          "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

An interesting side note, as some suspected the flavor is much different when vanilla is added with some fermentation still petering along. When added before fully attenuated, a beer takes on a smooth and creamy, almost milk chocolate profile. When added directly to the bright tanks the beer takes on a traditional vanilla flavor, like tasting plain extract. The difference is immense.
            fungus rules the earth

Comment

Which flavor do you prefer, and/or which one do your customers prefer?

Comment

Originally posted by ECB
                Which flavor do you prefer, and/or which one do your customers prefer?
                The flavor profile of vanilla that has hung out with yeast is far superior. The only issue is that not everyone has the time to let their beer take up tank space for an extra week.
                fungus rules the earth

Comment

Forgot about this thread, let me add to my previous suggested amount of beans was based on a brown porter of about 12.5 Plato OG...pretty tame (shout out to G-dog for the vanilla bean work!) Makes me want to make another vanilla bean beer, they are so tasty when done well. Outside of the obvious porters and stouts, has anyone had success with using vanilla in other styles without making them one dimensional?

Comment

Haven't brewed one, but I tasted an exceptional vanilla cream ale at Prairie Rock Brewing in Chicagoland. It was *phenominal*, tasted just like vaniall cream soda with an added mild hop twist in it!

/hell yes, I'd drink it all day long too!
                    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

3 Vanilla beans scraped and diced per BBL seem perfect for us. 1 weeks and it does wonders to the beer. Be conservative as the vanilla beans pack a punch.

Tommy Ortega
                      Head Brewer
                      Ravenna Brewing Co
                      Seattle

Comment

This thread is awesome! Lots of great information.

Comment

Originally posted by rage323machine View Post
                          3 Vanilla beans scraped and diced per BBL seem perfect for us. 1 weeks and it does wonders to the beer. Be conservative as the vanilla beans pack a punch.

Tommy Ortega
                          Head Brewer
                          Ravenna Brewing Co
                          Seattle
                          Old reply, but curious at which point you added the vanilla beans for the week rest? I used 12 beans scraped in a 3bbl, shaken in vodka to sterilize, and added it to the primary right away. It had an amazing vanilla flavor the first two days but has since fallen out over the course of of 12 days.

Looking to keg this monday, so about 16 days fermenting, wondering if there is a better way to get more vanilla in this "Vanilla Bean" Stout (because right now it's just chocolately and good, but I promised the fine folks a Vanilla Bean Stout)

Comment

You could try making a tincture in vodka, put maybe 12 beans cut down the middle into a 750ml bottle and wait a few months. We make our own vanilla at home that way, 1 bean per bottle and a couple moths later you have vanilla. This would be super concentrated, you could then titrate and scale up without making a vanilla bomb, then add the day before you package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, just saw you were kegging Monday. I would give it a few months in vodka to fully extract, but you could do it now for a batch down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X