Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tank Installation Advice (Fairly urgent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Installation Advice (Fairly urgent)

Hi guys

So a big thanks in advance to anyone who can help me on this. Something that's been on our minds for the last 6 months since we ordered our tanks is how to install them. We're a new brewery so have never done / seen anything like this before. We have a 15bbl system with 30 bbl fermenters arriving in a few weeks so would really appreciate any advice on how to 1) get them off the trucks and 2) set them upright and move them to their respective places. The tallest tank is our HLT at 14' and our fermenters at 12'.

We have contractors doing all the electricals, mechanical and plumbing. We just need to get them in place, which we'd like to do ourselves. We have a forklift. Not sure if that will be enough or if we need other equipment.

Thanks a ton for any help

Ryan
    ryan@sixmilebridgebeer.com

Hire professional riggers is the only advice I would give. Moving and standing tanks of that size is dangerous stuff and the cost to you should something go wrong is more than any rigging service would be. Simple job for a pro with the proper equipment. That being said I have dealt with 15bbl tanks but I would never advise anyone on how to do it. I prefer to take my own chances and not tell others how to be less than smart

Comment

Having installed vessels from 5-110 (18 feet tall) bbl ourselves, I can't help but agree with the poster above. Hire pros! While you might just be able to pull it off yourselves, it's dangerous, highly technical work. Just getting a fermenter stood up without damaging it or an employee is extremely interesting.

I hope you have a door big enough....
      Last edited by TGTimm; 03-31-2015, 01:37 PM.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Duly noted and I really do appreciate the advice guys. I'll look into who in our area can possibly help with that.

Having said that, I know there are loads of breweries that have setup their own tanks. Any feedback on that process?

Thanks

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by STL Brewer View Post
          .... Having said that, I know there are loads of breweries that have setup their own tanks. Any feedback on that process?
          Ryan
          That's kind of like asking us to tell you how to wire an electrical breaker box. I could do it, but the liability....
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Thanks to those who sent me some really valuable information. I really appreciate the help.

In case anyone is interested later on, I will let everyone know how it goes.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Ryan
            ryan@sixmilebridgebeer.com

Comment

You'll need some help. I'm in STL, so I would say call Murphy Company. They have brewery experience and are very professional. I've set vessels before and the biggest risk is snapping off nozzles or damaging the legs.

Inspect your vessels before they get off the truck. Look for bent nozzles, dents, etc and document them with photos that are date and time stamped. Damage from shipping is the responsibility of the shipper/seller. Let the driver take the tarps, slings, etc off, then get photos as best you can of everything.
              Homebrewer/Future part-time brewer
              but I do have 1 professional brew under my belt and on the books, and its still on the menu at that particular bar even though its not being served right now.

Comment

Working...
              X