Solenoid Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solenoid Issues

Recently I've been having a solenoid issue. They will open when necessary, but then will not close. Ultimately, this will prematurely over crash my tank resulting in an unfinished beer and some ice formation. At first I thought it was just an issue with one tank, but then it happened to a few more. I know there are several issues such as a clog or just a blown solenoid. Has anyone had these issues, and if so, what did they find the culprit to be? The solenoids are hard plumbed with pvc into the tank, so if I can avoid having to cut them out and re-plumb, that would be great. Appreciate it!

Check to make sure the diaphragm is free from debris. It's not unusual to find pieces of thread tape, etc, that prevent the solenoid from closing completely.

Comment

What type and model are they? I used to have that problem with Red Hat solenoids, and found that some models require a 5 psi pressure difference to close. You might also have some debris in the diaphram that keeps it from closing completely.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

I have had that problem as well. We have an oversized glycol system to allow for expansion and when the solenoids kick on and off we have a little bit of a water hammer effect. That knocking causes the bolt that holds the diaphragm in place to loosen up for me. I just have to stay on top of making sure they are tight. Probably not your problem but certainly something to check for. Easy fixes are the best fixes in the world.

Comment

The tiniest bit of debris will cause a diaphragm-type solenoid valve to stick open. You should have screens/strainers installed in your system, and where ever possible, avoid Teflon pipe thread tape. This has been the cause of almost all the stuck valves I've fixed. I've since gone to using Loc-Tite 542 thread sealer/locker instead. This stuff is great.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I also think that debris in the diaphragm is the culprit. They should always be installed so they can be cleaned on a regular basis, if they are hard welded in have them cut out and replace with threaded pipe for future maintenance.

Comment

Thanks a bunch, people. I figured it was a clog. I just took over here and there seems to have been minimal maintenance to many different things. Any recommendations to read up and learn more about glycol systems?

Comment

If your solenoid valves are located where they are at all accessible, it's easy to clean/rebuild them in place. No need to remove them from the line for this.

As for glycol system design/maint., consult Pro Refrigeration's website.

The single most important thing in running the lines is that the valves--solenoid or ball--go on the inlet of the tank jackets. Closing the outlet when the inlet is open is asking to learn how to weld a leaking jacket! I have ball valves on the outlet side for maint/repair, but I remove the handles to keep someone from accidentally closing them.
                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                X