Fruit concentrate source for smaller breweries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit concentrate source for smaller breweries

I'm looking for a source for berry concentrates that can be purchased 5 gallons or less. I have contacted many of the venders recommended on other threads, but everyone wants to only sell me @5 5gal buckets or 55 gallon drums. It would take me 10 years to go through all that, since I don't often make fruit beers. Any smaller breweries have a source?

Thanks!

Not sure what fruit you are looking for but you might talk with local growers often they make smaller packages. I use Oregon fruit company but its in 4.8 gal boxes. But its aseptic
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Comment

I thought about Oregon Fruit. But I've already added tons a fruit slurry. 15lbs per bbl. The beer just doesn't have enough fruit flavor. Looking for something natural I can add to serving tanks to boost flavor and aroma.

Comment

what fruit are you using?
        Mike Eme
        Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
          what fruit are you using?
          Blackberries, but I'm open to using raspberries or anything in that similar area.

Comment

Blackberries dont really have allot of flavor. I would contact Oregon fruit. They have pure fruit in there puree and that means no seeds or anything else that can add weight but offer no flavor. I have had excellent results with there product even over locally produced fruits. You are this far into this you might as do it right
            Last edited by beerguy1; 04-23-2015, 12:35 PM.
            Mike Eme
            Brewmaster

Comment

Go to your local SAMs club or Costco and buy frozen fruit. You can usually get it for $3/lb or so. When it's thawing out try to smash it up a little bit and then dump it straight in, I've had better results using whole frozen fruits than purée.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Junkyard, I started with frozen blackberries and smashed them with a huge immersion blender. It just didn't do much. I thought a little concentrate would bump up the black berry flavor and give it a touch of sweetness people would expect. I'm going to call Oregon Fruit in the morning and get their opinion.
                Last edited by 604M; 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM. Reason: added process

Comment

We use Oregon fruit frequently and we're impressed with results. The puree is at a higher concentrate than the respectable fruit. Their website goes into further detail. The seeds and pit are removed. They say on average 100lbs of fruit is roughly 88lbs of their puree. As mentioned, it's aseptic which is great if you're wanting a clean fruit beer.

Comment

I will second the Oregon puree, good stuff. FWIW, Blackberries are not sweet, they're more tart and I have used the BB puree from Oregon at 88lbs for 7bbls and for me it just gave a nice touch of that tartness. Nice balance, not overly fruity, but then again this is just after reaching terminal so there is a little subsequent fermentation that happens from the fruit.

Comment

We have had good luck with Perfect Puree. They are a little bit pricey but had good luck with the product. Just a note we are using the Blood Orange Concentrate from them. We did receive an email that they are also the supplier for Anderson Valley for the BO Gose.

Comment

We and other local breweries have had success with http://italco.com Pricing and quality of selection was great, with decent minimums...good luck!

Scott Witsoe
                        Owner/Brewer/Dreamer
                        Wit's End Brewing Company LLC
                        “Slow Beer for Fast Times…”
                        witsendbrewing@gmail.com

2505 W 2nd Ave, Unit 13
                        Denver, CO 80219

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Thanks! I ended up using Greenwood concentrates and Oregon purees. Both good products and easy companies to work with. I'll give Iltalco a look as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X