No announcement yet.

2 day Dry-Hop with with 8 hour Recirc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 day Dry-Hop with with 8 hour Recirc?

When I was at the CBC a couple weeks ago I ran into a couple brewers who were doing IPA's with a 2 day dry-hop recircing for 8 hours on the second day then cold crashing it and transferring 2 days later.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was using this technique and what their results were, and what pumps/tank types you were using.

Originally posted by N_Bolton View Post
    When I was at the CBC a couple weeks ago I ran into a couple brewers who were doing IPA's with a 2 day dry-hop recircing for 8 hours on the second day then cold crashing it and transferring 2 days later.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was using this technique and what their results were, and what pumps/tank types you were using.
    I've seen this done a few times now at different breweries, but have never tried it myself. From what I saw, it was a normal centrifugal pump-on-a-stick kind of thing, one hose on the bottom of the cone, one through the racking arm, with the arm facing up. They put a sight glass on the bottom hose to make sure it was moving and let it fly! The brewery makes pretty good IPA's and if I'm not mistaken they were getting better bang for the buck per pound of hops because of the additional agitation/contact surface area. My only caution would be ensuring you've purged your circuit completely with co2 before beginning. Probably minuscule, but it's always safe to leave O2 out of the equation whenever possible!

Cheers!

Comment

This seems to be a new trend that's approaching the industry rapidly. The first I was aware of it was Cigar City with their Spinbot 5000.

I actually just purchased my rig for this today :

Our ½ barrel keg is perfect for storing enough yeast for pitching into a 10 barrel batch of beer. Made from a brand new 15.5 gallon stainless steel keg without a Sankey spear in it. The top has a 4” TC ferrule making it easy to fill and clean. The side of the keg has a 1-1/2” TC ferrule welded as close to the bottom as possible. All welds are sanitary and polished. Included is a 4” by 1-1/2” TC end cap reducer and a 4” TC clamp and a 4” EPDM gasket. Great for yeast storage, wine for barrel topping and also for storage of almost anything. The solid stainless steel construction makes this a versatile and almost indestructible container. Certainly safer and easier to move around than a glass carboy.

TC screen gaskets are interchangeable with standard sanitary clamp gaskets.  Useful in any application where removal of particulates from the flow is important.  Protects rotating spray balls, pumps, heat exchangers, etc. from particulates.    Made of 316L stainless steel and EPDM.  This 6” long sock screen gasket offers up to 5 times more open area for 5 times more soil collection capability than conventional flat screen gaskets. Temperature rating from -55F to 275F (-48C to 135C). 16 mesh screen is equivalent to  1,190 microns. TC gaskets create a leak-proof seal between clamp fittings.  Hygienic seals are widely used in the Food & Beverage, Biotech, Pharmaceutical, Dairy, Industrial, and Semi-Conductor industries to seal clamp connections in sanitary process piping.  Complies with USDA and 3-A sanitary standards.  The ridged part of the gasket fits into the groove in a TC flange.  A TC clamp then tightens the connection between the two pieces of equipment that are being joined together for a leak-proof and sanitary connection.

I suspect I'll need a finer mesh screen than that sock, but GWkent only sells finer mesh TC gaskets in disc format(I think a disc would clog.)
      I'll just use hop socks inside the 1/2barrel for now if that mesh sock is too coarse.

have to wait on my DIN adapters to come in from the Great White North before I can use it, but once I do I might report back with results.
      Last edited by datamine; 07-15-2015, 12:32 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Smlsound View Post
        They put a sight glass on the bottom hose to make sure it was moving and let it fly!
        Were they using a variable speed pump at 100%? At the moment, I have only got an on/off 2hp pump, and when I tried using it it just shredded the hops and I got tons of grassy/veggie flavours.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Bolton View Post
          Were they using a variable speed pump at 100%? At the moment, I have only got an on/off 2hp pump, and when I tried using it it just shredded the hops and I got tons of grassy/veggie flavours.
          They did have a variable speed, but you could probably gate the output of most pumps to slow it down. I've gotten grassy flavors from doing absolutely nothing using the same hops and traditional methods as a normal dry hop in our DIPA, so I can't speak to whether or not the pumping would contribute, but I would think if you're using pellet hops it wouldn't matter since they basically dissolve.

Comment

Working...
          X