Frementor beer loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frementor beer loss

We currently brew about 120 gal. in 170-180 gal plastic frementors. There is a 2 foot head space between the final beer volume and the top of the tank once the knock out is done. Based on what our yeast guys tell me about the psi of O2, time of aeration and amount of yeast to pitch- these variables cannot change. My issue is that by the next day the tank is so active that I've lost about 10-15 gallons of beer from blow off. Any suggestions???? I can try an add a blow off but feel this will not amount to anything other then not having to clean up the mess after, instead of flowing out the top it will just flow out the tube.

I have been using BIRKO's Patcote 376 antifoam as a kettle antifoam and as a FV antifoam on my beers that tend to blow out a lot of crud (porter, etc). I suggest calling Dana Johnson at Birko and discussing it with him

Comment

Thanks. Ive used anti foam in the B/O bucket at other places but never used a product in the beer in the FV

Comment

It doesn't take much... 2 or 3 oz in 10bbls. I put it in kettle just before knock out, works wonders

Comment

Are you controlling you temperature?

Comment

Yes We do temp control. Currently that tank was at 68 overnite.

Comment

I spoke to the guys over at Brikos before and its very interesting. I will be ordering a gallon on Monday to to test out on our next batch. The product offers a few extra pros as well that I was unaware of. Thanks for the direction Wailingguitar.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCraftBrewer View Post
                I spoke to the guys over at Brikos before and its very interesting. I will be ordering a gallon on Monday to to test out on our next batch. The product offers a few extra pros as well that I was unaware of. Thanks for the direction Wailingguitar.
                You're welcome, I think you'll be happy with the results

Comment

Know that the Patcote is a vegetable oil based antifoam and not silicone based like most. Thats how you can get away with it in unfiltered beers. Granted the silicone works better but I dont want that in my beer. Dana says the yeast will metabolize some of the oils and we have never had head retention issues because of it.

Comment

Ive used it in 3 batches. 40ml at the end of the boil. So far everything seems to be working with not tanks overflowing. Its also much easier to clean the tanks because it has not spilt over the covers and blowoff. Next week I will xfer the first batch so I dont have any results for head retention, but from what everyone is saying this is not an issue.

Comment

What about using this product and top cropping- can it still be accomplished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      JC McDowell
                      Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
                      Darby, MT- population 700
                      OPENED Black Friday 2014!

Comment

Originally posted by jcmcdowell View Post
                        What about using this product and top cropping- can it still be accomplished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I do not top crop so for me its not an issue, but there is little to no krausen. Ive had some batches (light brews-cream , blondes) with no krausen at all. While some of the darks (stouts, browns) will get maybe an inch in the first day and then its gone.

Comment

Working...
                        X