Turbidity Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbidity Issues

Our brewery makes a 7% Scottish ale using WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale yeast. I use Super Moss in the kettle, Clarity Ferm in the fermenter, and I cold crash at 33 degrees Farenheit for three days. It still ends up being very turbid and a nightmare to filter. Shouldn't all of these processes in conjunction resolve colloidal haze? Any thoughts? I'm considering using Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast instead.
    Tim Schnars II
    Brewmaster/Chief Zymurgist
    Meadowlark Brewing
    117 S. Central Ave.
    Sidney, MT 59270

Don't think it's yeast

Is your wort to your kettle bright? Check your calcium levels--should have ~80-100ppm. Could also be beta glucan issues if you use oatmeal or some other such grain. Is your beer microbiologically sound? Of course it could be your yeast, but I would check elsewhere first. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I didn't think it was the yeast strain. Wort is bright into kettle. Calcium is probably closer to 50 ppm. The grain bill contains 8% Crystal Rye (137.5#). Could the rye really be causing a beta-glucan issue? Our other beers finish pretty bright, so I ruled out microbiological causes.
      Tim Schnars II
      Meadowlark Brewing
      117 S. Central Ave.
      Sidney, MT 59270

Comment

What are your other yeast strains? That yeast is only a medium floc, it will take more time than normal to clear up. Also check your Zn levels, had a similar problem with a pilsner yeast, upped the yeast nutrient, and it worked much better. Also use biofine clear or nalco 1072 as well, it is very good for yeast.

Comment

Our only other primary yeast is WLP090 San Diego Super, so it's highly flocculant. I can double the Servomyces I use, and try using WLP028 in a beer without adjuncts. I filter with Becopad filter sheets down to 1-2µ. I suppose that I could switch up to 2-3µ for the Scotch ale, as well. I will experiment adding Ca as well. Thanks for the suggestions!
          Tim Schnars II
          Meadowlark Brewing
          117 S. Central Ave.
          Sidney, MT 59270

Comment

Are you getting a good hot break and cold break? You could try upping the kettle finings. I had a few issues with chill haze. I moved my plate and frame filter as close to the FV as possible. Sometimes we had some long hose runs, and the beer can warm up in the hoses as the filtration slows, causing the chill haze to form post filter. I also set my chiller settings a little lower. So I'm able to get my FVs down to 30. Even a few degrees can help.

There's always filtration aids like PVPP. And upping the Ca is probably not going to hurt.

Cheers,
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
              Also check your Zn levels, had a similar problem with a pilsner yeast, upped the yeast nutrient, and it worked much better.
              This. We weren't using any nutrient until recently, thinking that given our consistently good mash efficiency we were getting all the nutrient the yeast needed out of our mash. We had a lot of turbidity in our lagers, which you're going to have anyway given the nature of lager yeast. But, when we started using nutrient, we noticed a huge difference in turbidity (for the better), which we attribute to an increased zinc content. While we haven't tested for zinc concentration between batches with and without nutrient, zinc is one of the few elements that malted-barley mashing will not contribute in significant amounts to wort. Yesterday, we filtered 120bbls of very clear pilsner (after only 11 days of lagering) with our 3m2 DE filter. This was a first for us, and I think a lot of the improved clarity has to do with the zinc supplement present in our nutrient.
              Last edited by Matt@Bauhaus; 05-21-2015, 01:26 PM. Reason: typos...

Comment

At a brewery I spent some time with, we were using whirlfloc T and switched to super moss. We instantly had turbid it's issues. Switched back to whirlfloc T and beer went Brite again. May be something to try. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Zinc Nutrient

Matt:

If you don't mind my asking, what zinc nutrient are you using?

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

Nothing I have seen flocs like Super San Diego. Do not try to compare other yeasts to it. I used to use Cali 001 and they are not in the same ball park when it comes to flocing. Just saying your expectations might be skewed using the mother of all flocers. The Cali would take days to get to filtration levels and still be full of a lot more cells.
                    Joel Halbleib
                    Partner / Zymurgist
                    Hive and Barrel Meadery
                    6302 Old La Grange Rd
                    Crestwood, KY
                    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by MPKill View Post
                      Matt:

Cheers,
                      Mike
                      Hi Mike - we use MicroElements tabs that we get through our Gusmer rep. See here: http://catalog.gusmerenterprises.com...t%20072712.pdf

Comment

Super Moss Issues

Originally posted by SeattleBrewer View Post
                        At a brewery I spent some time with, we were using whirlfloc T and switched to super moss. We instantly had turbid it's issues. Switched back to whirlfloc T and beer went Brite again. May be something to try. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I know this is an old post, but I will also confirm the Super Moss issues. Unfortunately I found out with our pilsner that Super Moss was not as effective, will definitely be switching back.

Comment

Originally posted by MPKill View Post
                          Matt:

Cheers,
                          Mike
                          Just get zinc sulfate from your lab supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
                            What are your other yeast strains? That yeast is only a medium floc, it will take more time than normal to clear up. Also check your Zn levels, had a similar problem with a pilsner yeast, upped the yeast nutrient, and it worked much better. Also use biofine clear or nalco 1072 as well, it is very good for yeast.
                            I agree with you, the rise of nutrients should solve this problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X