Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4 HP glycol chiller

Hello, I have a question for you all.

I plan on using a 3/4HP UBC glycol chiller to cool 2- 7 bbl fermenters with 2 temp controllers and 2 soleniods. I understand using one controller with one motor (controller sends 110v to turn on the motor). What I don't get is.... How do you use 2 controllers to turn on one motor?

Thanks for any help,
    Neil

Glycol loop.

The pump motor runs constantly. You need to create a loop for the glycol to go through when the solenoids are closed. That loop has to have a valve on it at 45°. When the solenoid opens, the resistance of an open solenoid valve is less than the resistance of a valve at 45°, so the glycol goes through the tank jacket. When the solenoid closes, the glycol goes back through the loop back to the chiller. Check out the Brewery Operations Manual by Tom Hennessey.

Comment

Also known as a "bypass valve", it can be a check valve (non-return valve) with a certain pressure threshold to open. If one or more solenoids are open, the glycol will go to the tanks. If all solenoids are closed, the threshold will be surpassed and the glycol will return through this bypass valve.

Comment

Motor controls

Thanks for the replies. That seems odd to have the motor run constantly for two 7bbl tanks. I was thinking of having the controllers turn on the motor using a couple of contactors or relays.

Comment

For this setup, get an additional pump. The controllers for each tank turn the corresponding pump on and off. No solenoids needed. The extra pump is $170 from Foxx. We used to use two of those chillers with two pumps on each. Controlled three 15s and a 7 bbl tank.

Comment

I've heard of other designs that turn the chiller pump off after a certain pressure is reached in the case that all solenoids are closed. I would still put in a bypass valve with a higher cracking pressure just in case.

Comment

No need for bypasses on a system like this. This system is 100% plug and play. No need to overthink such a simple set up.

- Run glycol lines from pump 1 to tank 1
              - Plug Johnson/Ranco/Whatever controller from pump 1 into the wall and pump
              - Install temp probe from controller 1 into tank 1
              - Turn on chiller
              - Repeat steps 1 through 3 for tank 2

Comment

I agree that with single or even dual vessels on a single glycol loop, it does make sense to interlock the glycol pump.

Not familiar with the UBC unit specifications, our 3/4 HP Chill and Flow Units have a dedicated process pump that circulates externally to service the brewery and a second pump that circulates internally to our chiller evaporator. This dedicated process pump can be interlocked with a control relay to only come on when one, or both, of your fermenters are requiring cooling. You will obviously still need solenoids at each tank to control the vessels individually.

Many chiller systems share a single pump for both purposes. If it is a single pump system, I suggest that you make sure the refrigeration circuit de-energizes when the pump shuts off to avoid freeze up or liquid refrigerant flood back to the compressor due to loss of flow.

Good luck!

Jim
                Pro Chiller Systems
                jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Originally posted by SMiller View Post
                  No need for bypasses on a system like this. This system is 100% plug and play. No need to overthink such a simple set up.

- Run glycol lines from pump 1 to tank 1
                  - Plug Johnson/Ranco/Whatever controller from pump 1 into the wall and pump
                  - Install temp probe from controller 1 into tank 1
                  - Turn on chiller
                  - Repeat steps 1 through 3 for tank 2

We are planning on using this setup to regulate and cold crash 2 7BBL dual zone jacketed fermenters. Is the 15 Gal Reservoir enough to service both of them at the same time?

Comment

It can absolutely support two 7bbls. Two 15s we were only able to crash one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by SMiller View Post
                      It can absolutely support two 7bbls. Two 15s we were only able to crash one at a time.
                      Any issues with too much pressure from the Powerpacks? I've read this on other threads and just ordered the 3/4hp unit with an extra pump.

Comment

Does anybody using the UBC chillers having issues with compressor start up tripping the breaker? Got it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Idea of where to check amperage when it tries to start up?

Comment

Working...
                        X