Conditioning tank to bottles/kegs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning tank to bottles/kegs?

I'm working on upping my consistency on a new brew I'm working on, as my results have been varied from batch to batch. Traditionally, I've bottle conditioned most of my brews, with varied results. The end product has always been good, but what I'm looking for is a more consistent taste for the consumer.

I've decided to turn to tank conditioned ales, with my final products going in 22 oz bombers, 750 ml champagne bottles (corked belgian), and kegs. I'll test the process on my new ale initially, and if I'm pleased with the results, I might start processing my other products in the same way.

I was hoping that some of you who currently use conditioning tanks could help me out with some information on your transfer processes. In particular, I'm interested in the mechanics of how you are moving the carbonated beer between mediums without losing carbonation, are you using pumps or gravity, hand capping or bottlers, etc...

I'm also interested in if and how you are filtering sediment from the conditioning tanks or if you are using DE before reaching the container, etc...

Thanks!
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

Im interested in a same point.

Im interested in a same point.

Comment

There's a seminar on a similar topic at the Craft Brewers Conference. This is from the BA website:

Wednesday, April 12, 2006
      8:15 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.

Natural Conditioning in Serving Tanks
      Karl Ockert, BridgePort Brewing Co.
      Karl Ockert looks at krausening in serving tanks with related issues of feeding, cleaning, pressures and determining when the beer is ready for release.

If you're not going to Seattle, maybe someone at BridgePort Brewing can offer you some assistance.
      Hutch Kugeman
      Head Brewer
      Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Hmmm...

I'm actually going to Seattle and planning on visiting their brewery if possible, but about a week before the seminar
        www.devilcraft.jp
        www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Nevermind...

I think Bridgeport is in Oregon anyways...I was thinking of visiting someone else's brewery
          www.devilcraft.jp
          www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Maybe ours, we're just 20 miles north of Seattle.

Comment

hmmm

Originally posted by Diamond Knot
              Maybe ours, we're just 20 miles north of Seattle.
              Your seaside location and stonegrill cooking seem sufficient for a visit alone, but if I can write off a visit to see your brewery for *cough* "business purposes" *cough* then I'd love to stop by
              www.devilcraft.jp
              www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Well, if you're coming all the way out here you might as well make it up. I'll buy your cold, malted beverages.

Comment

Sounds good!

It will be the first week of April, I'll send you a message here once I have it nailed down.

Looking forward to trying a few pints!
                  www.devilcraft.jp
                  www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Yo Brian,
                    I was just handed a bomb in the form of a piece of paper and a talk with my GM. Seems she's of the mind set that all the brewers from Big Buck (me included even though I'm just a fill-in) should be attending the CBC. If it comes to fruition, I'm looking forward to quaffing beverages and swapping war stories with you!

/prays for corporate to fork out the $$$

Rob
                    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Anyone's welcome! Come on by! Actually, the CBC is a pretty fun event. I attended when it was last in Seattke and though I can't say I learned "this or that" from it, I definitely had a good time. We're on the Eastern Brewery Tour, I believe, which is odd, since we're so far north of Seattle.

I'm planning on taking some time off from work to attend.

Comment

Friday Apr 7th?

Hey Brian, I think we just might take you up on that offer for those cold, malted beverages! I just need to check with the friends we'll be visiting there and make sure they are in, which shouldn't be an issue.

Will you be there Friday the 7th in the evening? It would be great to put a face to a name around here
                        www.devilcraft.jp
                        www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

To give an answer to the question, We filter with DE then through a plate filter and into the brite tanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X