Filter Water in Supply Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter Water in Supply Lines

We are currently finishing build out and wanted to see what other do.

We are having a Water filter installed to remove chloromine. We would like to install it in the Mechanical room where the water line comes in but there will be about a 60 foot run to the brew house where we are using Rinnai water heaters.

Question is, how concerned should i be about contamination of the post filtered water in the line in between brew weeks. We are fairly small so there will be at least a week in between brew sessions.

Should:
    A, leave it.
    B, Purge with CO2
    C, Flush with Sanitizer and lave it sit in the line between filter and water heater
    D, Leave it and do a recirc. loop before a brew

Any additional advice or recomendations would be great.

Chris

We were recently working on adding carbon filtration to our brew water and decided on a point of use strategy to eliminate the problem of dead legs. I would suggest trying to filter at the point you will be using it, so just before the water heaters, if at all possible. It won't necessarily be a problem since we are talking about hot side uses here but if you are putting this filter where the buildings water hook-up is then all water in the brewery will be affected. Cleaning water, tap water, hoses toilets everything and those might be used more frequently but not the the extent of brew water. So again, not a guaranteed problem, but an increased chance of one developing. As for cip of the loop, that might work but then you have to consider the extra chems, time and the make up of the water lines. Others will chime in I'm sure but just wanted to share what we had learned. Good luck.

Comment

Did you pipe it with copper? Copper has antibacterial properties, 99.9% death in 2 hours is what ive seen quoted. We haven't had an issue with anything growing in our pipes, but it is only a 30' run from the filter to the farthest point of use.

Comment

chloramine treatment

Randy and Jebzster are right, focus on point of use to minimize problems. If Co2 sits in a copper pipe for very long, carbonic acid is formed and will start "channeling" the bottom of the pipe with corrosion. Dean of Clean
        Originally posted by Noble31 View Post
        We are currently finishing build out and wanted to see what other do.

We are having a Water filter installed to remove chloromine. We would like to install it in the Mechanical room where the water line comes in but there will be about a 60 foot run to the brew house where we are using Rinnai water heaters.

Question is, how concerned should i be about contamination of the post filtered water in the line in between brew weeks. We are fairly small so there will be at least a week in between brew sessions.

Should:
        A, leave it.
        B, Purge with CO2
        C, Flush with Sanitizer and lave it sit in the line between filter and water heater
        D, Leave it and do a recirc. loop before a brew

Any additional advice or recomendations would be great.

Chris

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll just plumb it in the brewhouse as close as I can then run copper from the filter to the water heaters.

Thanks.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
          X